Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a round trip, Minot, ND to Bemidji, MN and back, around 670 miles, and averaged 30.8 miles per gallon. That was traveling at 65-70 mph for most of the trip. Not too bad for a warmed-over '06 Vulcan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just did a round trip, Minot, ND to Bemidji, MN and back, around 670 miles, and averaged 30.8 miles per gallon. That was traveling at 65-70 mph for most of the trip. Not too bad for a warmed-over '06 Vulcan.

Just curious, what brand gasoline were you running ?

·
Registered
447 Posts
JATO,

I second that. I've been watching the fuel on a recently acquired Gen 2, 3.0 Vulcan: 30 mpg on regular.

Last week a combination mostly hwy/some city netted 27 mpg.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find that a Taurus generally gives good mpg on the highways but are guzzlers in town. That's taking into account the weight of the vehicle. A Taurus isn't ideal for city driving, mine gets 16 mpg city and as much as 31 mpg highway with a heavy load and high speeds. Idealy, you should own two vehicles, one being a "nice car" and the other being a 'beater-ricer' say an old Civic for city trips.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious, what brand gasoline were you running ?
I filled up at a Tessoro in Minot and a Cenex in Bemidji. I travel this route about 3 to 4 times a year so I have certain gas stations that I fill up at that deliver generally good fuel.

My "city" vehicle is a '93 F-150 4x4 with a 300 and a 5 speed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's really good! I average 26-27mpg with mixed driving and I can't complain about that. My '94 F150 4x4 was about 16mpg and that was with 5sp and lockouts.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That's great! I get about 27-28 Mixed Highway/City on the way to vegas I get 29-30MPG good to see that this is the norm. for the Vulcan!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I just got a new job and have driven 400+ miles already this week. My average fuel economy is at 30.4 mpg right now, and that's with over-sized snow tires that make the speedometer read a couple of mph low! (Exxon regular unleaded with 0% ethanol)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where are you finding ethanol free gas?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Not in California that's for sure. I think Vegas has some last time I was there and looked at the sticker that has the contents of the gasoline. In fact on the way back from vegas when I topped off I got Better fuel mileage then going there but that may be due to me driving mostly uphill going there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Up to last week I would have laughed at all of you guys and called you crazy.

I was getting 22-23 miles/gallon, driving 75mph on the hwy. Considering an epa estimate of 26 miles/gallon for my 2001 flex vulcan I thought this was reasonable.

Last weekend I took all my fuel injectors off, sonicated them, backflushed them with carb cleaner and bolted them back on. Now I must be getting close to 28miles per gallon too, or slightly better.

Basically I can drive 4 times up and down to work on a tank, compared to my 3 times prior to cleaning.

Pretty amazing

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Those gauge faces are up on eBay from time to time for $20-30.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada Ethanol free gas.

Right now I am getting 26 between work/home/store. Which blows my mind, as I usually get between 23-24. Car was doing 30MPG according to the scangauge on the way home from Greenville, doing 80MPH (no AC).

·
Banned
323 Posts
Yes sir indeedy!! I've been using pure (ethanol free) gas since I moved to S.C., which has been 7 months now. The mpg of my '97 has increased both city and highway. I'm now averaging 23mpg city and 32 mpg highway. This is no bullshit. Plus the performance has been better. Used to be when I'd punch the gas at 70, I'd get some hesitation. Now there ain't none. At all. The gas does cost about 5 cents a gallon more than the E10 stuff, but it's well worth it. My '03 Caravan likes it, too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The pick I took when the bull hit 100k was also one of the best mpgs I ever had, a/c off, and a 20mph south wind pushing me home. It was 250+ miles since I reset the mpg reading when I took the pic. My new car gets 29-32 mpg city, and 35-37mpg hwy, depending on how fast I drive, and if I run the a/c. The new car (Hyundai Accent MT) is also faster, lol!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts