Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a gasket set from fel-Pro that includes all the gaskets for the upper half of the engine (something like 20 gaskets and intake and exhaust valve stems). To my amazement, mixed in with the gaskets I found a set of gaskets for the exhaust manifold, which is kind of odd because my car never came with exhaust manifold gaskets from the factory way back when. my car is almost ten years old now and it is kindof funny to think that I have never had exhaust manifold gaskets. I called up Auto zone 2 times to make sure they gave me the right set (they did).I have a 95 3.0 vulcan. Does anyone with the same car as mine have exhaust manifold gaskets? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When i was looking into changing the VSS i thought about taking the header off to reach it. I saw in multiple books a step "Discard old gasket" no local store had gaskets for the exaust manifold and were unaware that there are any. I went to Ford and they told me there are no gaskets "its just metal to metal" they said. I said ok and walked out. I didnt remove the exsaust manifold so i dont know if there are any, i just bit the bullet and went to a shop.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
When i changed the head gaskets on my 1990 vulcan there were no exhaust gaskets. When I removed a set of heads of a vulcan at the wrecker, there was no exhasut gasket.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I replaced my headgaskets, my Fel-Pro set came with exhaust manifold gaskets and I didn't install them because I figured if they didn't have them on in the first place, I shouldn't add them on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jan 26 2004, 07:54 PM
How do you know your car never had exhaust manifold gaskets? Have you ever pulled a manifold?
Several times. Four times I have taken it off to paint it and two or three other times to port it.

B

·
0 Posts
My Gen 3, and all the Gen 3 Vulcan's I've seen have exhaust manifold gaskets. It may not be a bad idea to add them in. Over time, the manifolds could warp and develop leaks. The gaskets will seal them up nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts