Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put $10 in last night it said 68 Miles to E. Wake up this am and it's on low fuel sign. Also I don't drive the car hard and say I have a full tank the miles to e will go down double what they should. What are the things I should get checked out? I know look under car to see if gas is leaking but it's been raining the last 2 days. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Never go by "Miles to empty" It's been known to not be accurate. Instead do a real MPG calculation(fill the tank, set trip odo to 0, run it down, fill back up, divide miles driven by gallons to fill back up) and post those results. That way you will really KNOW what mpg your car is getting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you only going by "Miles to E" because that's not usually accurate. If you were leaking fuel you should definitely be able to smell it. What I suggest is to add two bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner and fill it with good gas. Reset your MPG computer too, and drive until it's low.
Calculate your mileage by how many gallons you put in.

If all is normal and the mpg computer reads something normal like 23+ but your fuel is being used up then I'd start looking elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Also depends on how the car is parked. If the noise was uphill some the fuel runs away from the sending unit, if the noise was downhill the fuel level would show higher. Hell I've had my fuel gauge drop 1/4 almost while sitting at a red light.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
^^^^+2
With John miles to E, and the bottom 3rd of most Ford gas gauges, are notoriously unreliable. Have you calculated your actual mileage?
Yep, in my car, when it says I'm at a quarter, I'm actually at 1/3 a tank. Which is fine by me. I fill to the top when it gets that low anyway. Keeps the fuel pump gremlins at bay for longer when you don't let it run low.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran it on "e" for a good 15 miles before she fart canned. Had a gas container to get me to the gas station, filled her up and reset everything. Gonna get accurate mpg, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,814 Posts
You must enjoy replacing fuel pumps. Running and EFI engine out of gas is a sure way to very quickly kill a fuel pump. Constantly running with the tanks under 1/4 full also significantly shortens the life of the pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts