Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i pulled into pepboys this mornign and my frind got out of his car and into mine to listen to a few song with my subs..any way i was sitting there with the engine running for about 5 minutes.....so we get out to go in and i see a little puddle of green stuff (i assume anti freeze). i look under and its driping (in two places) off of the splace guard...so this really concerns me because i already have spent enought money on tranny..so i go in and come bak out and its drippen slower....i crawl under and it looks like the hole splash guard is wet with anti freeze...my 1st thought was it was sitting on the other side...so i pop the hood and i wasa little low on anti freeze...so i was really worries....so i drove over to mijers to look for something...when i came bak out there was just a very very small puddle and wasnt dripping...so i got home to clean my headlighights and had the car in the garage and haddnt dripped once nothing on floor..did i just hit a puddle of anti freeze or what..sry it was so long thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
One stop and a puddle on the ground, I'd say maybe not. 2 Stops and a puddle, I'd say yes. I have marked my overflow container with a grease pencil so I know where I filled it exactally to, that way there is no question. I suspect mine 99 is leaking in the head gasket, but since I made the marks, I have not seen a decrease in the level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
Sounds like you may have a small leak in your radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
This has happened to me twice this winter both on very cold mornings near zero tempetures. Seems to be leaking on drivers side suspect either the radiator hose or radiator end cap. when the car heats up to the point the thermostat opens its going to send 195 degree coolant to a zero degree radiator. this will cause expansion and contraction of the plastic end of the radiator causing a leak until tempeture equalizes. Most likely going to need new radiator
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Originally posted by green@Jan 17 2004, 04:42 PM
This has happened to me twice this winter both on very cold mornings near zero tempetures. Seems to be leaking on drivers side suspect either the radiator hose or radiator end cap. when the car heats up to the point the thermostat opens its going to send 195 degree coolant to a zero degree radiator. this will cause expansion and contraction of the plastic end of the radiator causing a leak until tempeture equalizes. Most likely going to need new radiator
Check the over flow bottle. They crack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is the over flow bottel?....is it just where you put the fluid in?..and how much are radiators installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Originally posted by trojan@Jan 17 2004, 08:43 PM
where is the over flow bottel?....is it just where you put the fluid in?..and how much are radiators installed?
The overflow bottle is on the passenger side. It is the only place you can add coolant to a gen III. The leak seems like it is on the drivers side because it runs across the sub frame. It is most likely the cause of the leak. The rads aren't common for failure and they are very difficult to change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Allright fellas, here we go:

If its comin from the passenger side, 10 bucks says its the overflow tank (Where you fill it up). If its comin from the drivers side, its the petcock (The drain valve for the radiator). That is an easy replacement. If you need any more info, let me know.
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
I'd put my money on the overflow tank. The overflow tank on my gen 4 (where you put the coolant in..only place you can on gen 3 and 4...) went bad.

One day coming up a mountain the temperature gaugue FLEW up to the H. I was like s***. I was about 2 miles from home so we just drove home. Got there and popped the hood...no coolant. We think, oh, well, maybe it's just empty. (duh! how stupid I feel now...lol...coolant just doesn't dissapear...) ANYWAY...so we fill it back up and it didn't leak anywhere. About a week goes by and we here a loud hissing sound. Look under the car and coolant is leaking everwhere. Take apart the overflow tank and there is a very large hairline crack. This is SO COMMON for the gen 3 and 4, that Ford actually has redesigned the overflow tank. If you go buy a new tank at the dealership, they will give you a completely different designed one than you have now most likely. They stole $70.00 from me for it.

Replaced the coolant tank and have never had any coolant leak out since. It's been about 3 months.

This is a very common occurance. Every wrecked gen 3 I have sold parts from has had a cracked tank. A couple even had it in EXACT same spot as on my gen 4.

So yeah...it's prolly the overflow tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jan 17 2004, 09:41 PM
I'd put my money on the overflow tank. The overflow tank on my gen 4 (where you put the coolant in..only place you can on gen 3 and 4...) went bad.

One day coming up a mountain the temperature gaugue FLEW up to the H. I was like s***. I was about 2 miles from home so we just drove home. Got there and popped the hood...no coolant. We think, oh, well, maybe it's just empty. (duh! how stupid I feel now...lol...coolant just doesn't dissapear...) ANYWAY...so we fill it back up and it didn't leak anywhere. About a week goes by and we here a loud hissing sound. Look under the car and coolant is leaking everwhere. Take apart the overflow tank and there is a very large hairline crack. This is SO COMMON for the gen 3 and 4, that Ford actually has redesigned the overflow tank. If you go buy a new tank at the dealership, they will give you a completely different designed one than you have now most likely. They stole $70.00 from me for it.

Replaced the coolant tank and have never had any coolant leak out since. It's been about 3 months.

This is a very common occurance. Every wrecked gen 3 I have sold parts from has had a cracked tank. A couple even had it in EXACT same spot as on my gen 4.

So yeah...it's prolly the overflow tank.
That is strange mine only cost $35 cdn from Ford for my 99 and it is exactly the same but the plastic is clear not nasty vulcan brown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Sorry I was not specific enough. In my case when I opened the hood steam was coming out between the battery and were radiator hose goes through the shroud, and if I looked through the lower opening of the bumper cover I could see fluid trickling down from above. I could see the drain valve through the opening, and did not look to be leaking at valve. Thats Why I suggested that the radiator hose leaking (fluid leaking past radiator hose clamp), or the radiator itself is leaking. I am going to remove the battery an see if I can tell if its the radiator clamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Jan 17 2004, 10:06 PM
That is strange mine only cost $35 cdn from Ford for my 99 and it is exactly the same but the plastic is clear not nasty vulcan brown.
Mine was only 30.00 or so also. Couldn't find the leak for ever, untill I opened it while the engine was hot one day, the pressure in the tank was allowing the coolant to flow out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Originally posted by Cruzrtwdgt+Jan 18 2004, 11:12 AM-->QUOTE (Cruzrtwdgt @ Jan 18 2004, 11:12 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Patrick Norris
@Jan 17 2004, 10:06 PM

That is strange mine only cost $35 cdn from Ford for my 99 and it is exactly the same but the plastic is clear not nasty vulcan brown.
Mine was only 30.00 or so also. Couldn't find the leak for ever, untill I opened it while the engine was hot one day, the pressure in the tank was allowing the coolant to flow out. [/b]
Same here. The only reason I even noticed it was leaking was when the heat stopped. I got out to check it and could find a leak so I filled it up and then started it and still couldn't find the leak. I started the car and still couldn't find it. I put the rad cap on and got it pressurized then I found it right at the bottom.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top