Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moonroof Always on instructions

This was done to that car's windows, too. You don't need a key to close the roof or windows.

Has anyone done this or know how to do this in a 97 Sable/taurus?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't think it's too hard. It's just bypassing the ignition switch so that the window switch is hot all the time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be easy, but Im good at taking simple 20 minute jobs and dragging them on for days, trying to figure out what I did wrong. All I need is a wire diagram of the fuse box thats under the dash, then I can rewire it.

Anyone hear that? Im looking for a 97 Sable electronics or fuse box wire diagram. (specifically for under the dash.)

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I know in my 98 SE you can roll the windows up or down after the key has been taken out of the ignition as long as you do not open the doors. This seems to be true for all Gen. 3's. All though I believe it would be better to be able to do it anytime whether you are in, were in, or about to get in your car. :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Jul 1 2004, 03:38 PM
I know in my 98 SE you can roll the windows up or down after the key has been taken out of the ignition as long as you do not open the doors. This seems to be true for all Gen. 3's. All though I believe it would be better to be able to do it anytime whether you are in, were in, or about to get in your car. :D
That gives me some IDEAS! :p :ph34r:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly- that gives me plenty of ideas, I just need a wire diagram to know which wires do what.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know now in my 2000(Gen4) you have complete window use, with the key out of the ignition right after turning the engine off, as long as dont open any doors. I just found that out the other week. :unsure: I have had the car for 15 months now. :unsure:

I rain sensor would be great. Or even a window roll up with the factory remote arming.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Jul 1 2004, 03:38 PM
In my gen3 sable if you wait long enough after taking the key out (10 mins or more) you can not roll the windows up or down even if you have opened the door or not. I'd be curious to see if all the rest of the gen3s are the same way except no one else has just waited long enough to find that out.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Wouldn't this pose a possible security threat? I mean it would be possible to open the windows at any time. If someone knows this information, they could easily get inside your car with a coat hanger...
Or worse, they could find out that they can open your trunk just by pushing the button.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by d_sellers1@Jul 2 2004, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't this pose a possible security threat? I mean it would be possible to open the windows at any time. If someone knows this information, they could easily get inside your car with a coat hanger...

Derek
True, but you need to crack the window a bit to do that and I'm assuming most of you guys don't. I've tried breaking into my own car with a coat hanger. The top of the door has an edge that goes into teh body so it's kinda hard to get it in after the weather stripping. And the coat hanger, when all pull out to length, couldn't reach the buttons if you got it in thru the B-Pillar. And even if you did manage to get it to the buttons, the wire can put enough force on the button.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I got a auto-locksmith kit....comes with directions to tell me how to get in ANY car..and it comes with all tools needed :ph34r:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Jul 2 2004, 08:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Jul 2 2004, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Qwertz9586@Jul 2 2004, 01:02 AM
Just tap the Constant Battery wire from the radio and tap that to the ACC.
lol.....ok...

Brad [/b][/quote]
NO. The wire you are talking about is not of sufficient gauge to handle the current that will be drawn through it. The insulation may melt, causing a fire.

You have the right idea, though. You want to tap into the wire that goes to the ignition switch, essentially bypassing the switch. This will handle the current.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, two things.
Just tap the Constant Battery wire from the radio and tap that to the ACC.
Thank's for telling me which wires need to be messed with, but I still need a wire diagram or something. (or do you know what colors the wires under the dash mean)

2nd thing:

You have to be in the car to mess with the windows. If the car is locked, there shouldnt be a problem.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I'm sure you could find a wiring diagram in the back of a Chilton's or Hayne's manual. Check the library first. They might have one. Plus since it's a reference book that you can't take out of the library, they might let you photocopy it for free.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet- thanks guys

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my '02, the windows can be closed with the key off, if a door hasn't been opened, until some unknown time expires. I think it's less than five minutes, but it's been a while since I've tried that. And I've never tried opening the windows under the same circumstances.

I imagine the purpose was to be able to close the windows after the key is removed, rather than open them. Just my guess, though.

Something I'd like to see is the ability to close all the windows and moon roof when I press the Lock button on the remote. Some aftermarket alarm systems have this feature, but they don't seem to play nice with the factory Keyless Entry System.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts