Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the past month of august i've had to replace 2 alternators, in my car, the replacement i got from napa, so quality, i dont think was the issue the 2nd time, and i do have a system set up, but its only a 500 watt amp, but its got a 1 farad capacitor, which i thought would protect the alt, i don't know if its the stereo, killin the alternators or what, does anybody out threre have an idea, or had these problems?

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
When you are installing these new alternators, are you charging your battery with a charger, or are you just installing them, and boosting them and then charging them with the alt. If you are not charging the battery before you run the car with the new alt, you are frying it if the voltage of the battery is below 12volts.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Aug 31 2004, 09:46 PM
When you are installing these new alternators, are you charging your battery with a charger, or are you just installing them, and boosting them and then charging them with the alt. If you are not charging the battery before you run the car with the new alt, you are frying it if the voltage of the battery is below 12volts.
i highly doubt that...

·
Registered
281 Posts
It would help to know the failure point of the alternators. If you are losing the diode packs, then it suggest you might have a short in the battery. If it was the regulator, you just got a bad alternator, etc.

Zeptoplix is fairly correct. A low charge battery demands a long high voltage mode, and this wears on the diode pack, but it should not have killed a new alternator unless there is a short in the battery or a problem with the new alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
Brad, you highly doubt it? I have bought brand new rebuilds (bosche) and right on them is a tag not to use them if the battery's charge is below 12volts.

Take directly from Bosche's FAQ

Q. Can I use my alternator to recharge a discharged battery?
A. No! When installing an alternator, the battery should be fully recharged before vehicle use. In many cases, depending upon how thoroughly discharged the battery is, it can take 4-8 hours. Most technicians and DIYers don’t want to wait that long so they just get the vehicle running, and figure that by driving the car around the alternator will charge the battery. In some cases with weather extremes the battery never gets fully charged, and in all cases the alternator is being overly stressed asking it to do a job it was not designed to do. This leads to premature failure.
Considering the tag, the FAQ and the fact this has happened to me, im going to go out on a limb here, and say you shouldn't have even posted in this thread; considering your post was worthless to the topic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes after my first alt went out, i charged it for a while until i could get a new one, then i had it taken in when i got the 2nd one put in and it ran fine, but he got a bad readin from the alt, then the 2nd one went out and i had the battery checked and it had a bad cell, so now im on my third alternator and have a new battery, i just hope i dont have to replace another alternator

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
arent they covered by a warranty? If so I would just take it back every time it busts. However, what are the chances that 3 alternators would all fail? Pretty slim, so I would start looking elsewhere to find out what the problem is.

How old is the battery you have?

=DC

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Zeptoplix....you entertain me more than you know.

Right now me and another unamed member are laughing or heads off....

I did not say it was not possible, Im saying that is not likley. I have quite a bit of experence with this. Maybe you do too, but take a deep breath.

I usually like to take time before a response to a personal attack like that so i myself can cool down. But in this case, im not going to.

If you want to keep attacking, heres my retort:
Better to be one who makes a single "worthless" post than to be a "worthless" member.....not to mention any names.

Otherwise: I retract the above statment.

Lets be a little more civil. If you want to discuss this further, please PM me, otherwise its over...

Sounds like you found the problem! Good luck with the alternator!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Inferno, im sorry it had to come to this, but this is gonna be locked. If you need more help, please feel free to open a new topic. Id sugest putting it in the mantinence catagory for better and more productive responses!

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.