Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to change alternator on my 1997 ford taurus sho i have heard the horror stories is it possible to do this in my driveway ? any advice will be much appreciated, and is it good to just buy the basic 130 amp alt or should i go with a high amp ? thanks everyone

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, it COULD BE possible.. if you have tiny hands.

I think the best way to do it is to drop the sub frame a couple inches, which gives you more than enough room to get your hand in there and take the bolts out to get the alternator out.

But check this out: Alternator Replacement

I have never tried it.. but it could be possible if you take the intake with surge tank off to access it that way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I changed mine out a few months ago and i dropped the subframe and it took about an hour to do. Pretty straight forward with simple hand tools.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a high amp alt, these SHO's are finicky about their electric system, and the stock one is more than enough for anything you may do with the car - stereo, lights, etc - unless you plan on hooking up an arc welder.

The biggest problem with the alternators isn't getting them out, it's keeping one IN. Infant failures are common in 3.4 SHO replacement alternators. Make sure the new alt has the same size pulley as the original one, if it doesn't - change it.
Also very common, run the car up to 6000 rpms and see if the battery light comes on. There are 2 types of diodes you can get - SHO high speed and Windstar low speed switching. Windstar model can't spin up all the way and just lock @ ~5800 rpms. Best part of all - you'll never know until you try it and ALL the alternators I've tried over the years may do this - new, rebuilt, AutoZone, Motorcraft. It's a crap shoot every time.

It won't HURT leaving in an alt that turns on a battery light at high rpms, it's just irritating to spend the money and effort and still not have everything working perfect, so out comes the new alternator.
Twice I've been through 4 replacement alternators before I hit on one that actually stayed in the car for more than a few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts