Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to autozone today for get motor oil, and asked them to do their free load/battery test.

The guy first does the batt test.... we wait for 25 seconds or so.. then display says
"Charge & Retest" :unsure:

Then he connects I guess something to one of the batt cables & asks me to start & hold at 2 K rpm for a few secs.

Then, presses some keys, and says that my alternator is weak. Display shows...

- output is only 4.9 amps... He says its should be 60% of the alternator rating??? :(

- the other message says "diode pattern good"

any inferences... I dont have any problems starting... but I feel the esp the head & even tail lights are all weak/dim.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmm... I doubt the output is that low. Perhaps he hooked up the equipment wrong. You don't have any starting issues right? I'm betting he didn't hook it up right or something.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing the same...... I might take it later to advacne autoparts
and see if they will do a better test..

How much should the output be at 2k rpm. and Do we go by the current or by the voltage..
If its the current dont I have to turn on the lights, radio a/c etc?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jun 20 2004, 09:40 AM
I am guessing the same...... I might take it later to advacne autoparts
and see if they will do a better test..

How much should the output be at 2k rpm. and Do we go by the current or by the voltage..
If its the current dont I have to turn on the lights, radio a/c etc?
I just looked up in the manual and it said the alternator output should be greater than 87 amps @ 2,000 RPM and thats with all accessories off. The load is to be applied by the alternator tester. Generally I look for the voltage to be at least 13V with a fully charged battery. It should be in the range of 13 - 14 volts, anything lower or higher should be looked into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts