Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So therefore I got a rebuild alternator, output around 14v. After new alternator installed, things don't work with burned fuses:
radio
a/c
blower fan
defog

none of the instrument cluster (backlight comes on)

I searched around here and ppl was saying Transmission Range Sensor (neutral safety switch). Took it apart, cleaned it, nothing burned inside. So my fuses keeps burning. Why, and how do I go about checking all of this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Assuming the voltage is now good at 14.0-14.4v I would say something is shorted if you are still blowing fuses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it might be a short, maybe some insulation melted, or relay went bad. If I do find a short and repair it, is there a way to check that all is in good working order without inserting a fuse? In case there is another short down the wire and I don't know about, and then I'll get another fuse blown.
Do I use a multimeter or what?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The best way with a voltmeter is to set it on ohms and ground one side of the meter. Disconnect the battery, then touch the other lead of the voltmeter to the fuse terminals. Make sure you do both sides of the fuse.

One side should be the hot and the other side will be the circuit you are checking. I think the right side is usually the circuit side and the left is hot but I could be wrong. With the battery disconnected you will do no harm either way. You could connect the battery and test the fuse terminals to see which one is hot. You will probably have to have the key on.

If you see a reading on under 1 ohm then there is a short in that circuit.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No short you should get no reading, it will be open. You may get a large ohm reading, say kilo or mega ohms. This would be OK as it is the solid state electronics do this, if there is any. Kilo ohms should be very high to be for sure though, say 800 or 900.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still working on the problem, i didn't abondon, i have no choice, no A/C and no radio. Anyways, i need your continuing help. I found that I have 4 shorts (blown fuses).
One under the hood, three in the car fuse panel.

The fuse blown under the hood is the airbag (10A), and I have the airbag light on constanly at instrumental. I took the fuse box out and checked that the airbag fuse is ORG/YELLOW. I follow the wire behind the radio in a montior sensor box. I can't disconnect the wire connection.

Anybody has a wiring diagram for 96 Taurus?? I looked under the EZ Topics, and nothing. I want to know the other 3 burned fuses inside the car. I don't want to take apart the fuse panel, it's too complicated.

Thanks alot guys, hopefully fix this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts