Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the typical life of an alternator in the Taurus? I have 104,000 on the original alternator (1998 Vulcan) and am just concerned that it might go out at any time. Should I be thinking about an alternator rebuild? Or replacement? I am a former Chevy man and it seems that those alts seem to go out about 80,000. My reasoning is that it is less expenive to do planned maintenance than unplanned with a tow! Want to make this car as reliable as possible for my wife. BTW, thanks to everyone for help with 401 code. Replacing sensor did the trick.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I had 190,000 miles on my abused 92 GL when I replaced the alternator b/c I thought it was squeaking. Turned out it it was the idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I go through alternators every six months, almost like clock work, 6months = 35,000kms... I do have a stereo system that makes the alternator work slightly harder than normal.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
My 94Gl 275K still has the one that came from the factory

I have been through two tensioners though

·
Registered
161 Posts
I rebuilt the origional more times than I should have. I am on my 5th alternator in my car.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Here's an auction for a new alternator if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33573

If you are going through alternators like crazy, maybe you should upgrade to a SHO alternator. Not sure if it's compatible with Vulcans and Duratecs, but it might be worth looking into.

130k to 150k miles is average if you have a minor upgraded stereo system; for example, with a 200 watt amp. Always make sure you are checking your battery regularly. Running on a low battery can decrease the life of your alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Hmm well by a little more than average, i actually meant about hmm 40x as powerful. lol . I guess you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, I typed sarcastically,

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
IS there some sort of a spray that I can spray into the alternator to get dirt & stuff out??

WD 40. But I am thining a no no..?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No, do not spray anything into the alternator! The bearings are all dry type bearings. Any dirt that will be introduced or otherwise attracted to the lubricant will destroy the bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Alternator went at 62,000 kms (about 40k miles) Last week.
It actually only needed to have the inner Bearings replaced because it was screeching and making strange noises, the electrical guts still work fine, so it was more like a manteinance service. My car is a 1989 3.8L but we only use it as a backup car, some nostalgia involved since it was owned by my dad, anyway to make this long story short I think 40k miles it's more or less the average mileage I was expecting from it because other cars I've had in the past usually gave Alternator problems at 30k miles usually.

It cost me like $40 usd, main frontal bearing was $12 and the smaller one $6 plus $20 of labour, so all in all it wasn't such a bad experience, and it only took him like 1 hour to fix it.

I'm a happy monkey now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts