Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1991 Ford Taurus Sedan last night while driving home had a smell similar to a electrical burning, and a little bit of smoke from the passenger side front from underneath the hood.Today the car will not crank over.It has power(i.e. the radio and power items work)Could the alternator gone bad?Bad enough to burn and let off smoke?Why won't the car start even after I jump started the battery?I want to know if I should replace the battery or the alternator or both? Any help would be appreciated.

Rory

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You need to have the electrical system checked to see if the battery is good or bad and the same for the alternator. Most places also do a starter check while checking the batt., and alt. your going to pay anywhere from $19.99-$29.99 depending on where you go. If those components check out ok, then you'll have to do a computer analysis(engine diagnostic check), which usually runs about $39.99-$69.99 again depending on where you go. Doing anything else is just gonna waste your time and probably just cost you more money.

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery cable, or starter solenoid. Do a visual inspection of the cables, and check across the solenoid lugs (large ones) with an ohm meter. When the key is off, there should be no continuity.

As suggested too, don't start throwing parts at it, it will cost you more in the long run, and cause a lot of frustration! :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts