Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i recently purchased a 95 red taurus sho 3.2 engine dec 2003 with around 65,000 original miles. the car is in great condition. i do know it had been wrecked and was restored. the vehicle has only had two problems, replaced the starter in february. it just recently developed a problem with the alternator. according to the tester it was only pulling 11. my brother in law is a fantastic mechanic. alternator and alternator belt were replaced. the car started 4 times and then quit again. the car could be jumped but would only go one block. battery was replaced but the machine shows with the new battery and new alternator plus belt it is only pulling 11 when tested. brother in law has taken the alternator back and the one will be here today. he is going to bench test it before putting it back on. if the alternator test okay and its put back on and the machine shows its not pulling enough amps does anyone have an idea on where to check next.

i am confident in my brother in laws abilities as a mechanic. live in a small town 10,000 not a lot of choices for car repair. the one mechanic who is retired has worked on my SHO and another SHO same year same color and same engine. have talked with the other owner and he is confident in his previous mechanics abilities. i spoke with this mechanic the other day, in fact my brother in law learned most of his mechanic skills from this guy.

also, the day after i tried a new touchless car wash in town is when this problem started. just about died, had some leakage around the moonroof. i am worried that something was shorted out. i feel my brother in law is qualified to work on my car. when the starter went bad i checked around for prices and work, everyone said this was a 4 hr job. brother in law looked underneath at it and said he could change it out. the day he replaced it, he also noticed that the fuel line was crimped. between that and the starter i had my car back in 4 hours.

sometimes others have run into small quirks...any help would be appreciated. i feel that i did make a good investment in this car. smiles, i have always wanted a fast red car and this one is just perfect. but i don't want to deal with a money pit either because of the limited funds i have to work with.

can somebody please help with some ideas.
signed
female in love with her red 95 SHO

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
First off....let me welcome you to the club! :banana:

As for the issue at hand, once the alt is replaced again, let us know your findings. If you still have the same problem, you must have a short somewhere. Also check all the contacts for corrosion and good connections. I definatly sounds like a battery or alt issue.

I wish i could help you more, but im sure someone esle car!

Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the new alternator came into today and was bench tested and no good. so another one is being sent from the distributor warehouse instead of another store that is close by. hopefully this one works. thats two bad ones.

thanks so much for the previous reply

loves her SHO :chili:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I'm betting it's a bad ground. Check the ground strap on the starter and the one on the engine. If they are loose and/or corroded, you've found your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the next alt that came in was completely dead when bench tested. this alt came from the same place as the one that had just been replaced. so the parts store ordered from the distributor. this alt was bench tested and was good. it was put on the car this afternoon. so far things are looking up fired up the ac lights and radio no dimming of lights after running for about 15 minutes. no lights flashing off and on.

:chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:

so for the next couple of weeks will test the alt and make sure everything is going right.

i did purchase the alt at our local autozone and they have treated me great trying to resolve the issue of two bad alternators. also got a sweet deal on a 7 yr battery.

thank you everyone for the input on the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts