Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In the video

I see one of the required tool is torque wrench @0:57 and shown @5:01.

It seems that the torque wrench is expensive
What do you people use to do the job?

my car 2000 Ford Taurus

Thank you

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
You can get a cheap torque wrench for ~$20. You can also 'rent' one from Autozone (actually just a deposit- they give it all back when you return the tool).

That being said, I don't use one actually changing the brakes, just tightening the lugnuts. TIGHT is good.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would rent the torque wrench or buy one, they are a good investment!

The reason you need to torque the wheels on the Taurus is if you over-tighten them it will cause brake vibrations from the rotor / wheel surface inconsistencies.

Troy.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You can get a torque wrench from harbor Freight for cheap and Sears has the beam style for a decent price. I do not use a torque wrench for doing brakes as well. I would use a 3/8 wrech to tighten so you do not strip out the bolts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes Harbor Freight sells a perfectly decent $20 chinese 150 ftlb 1/2" clicker torque wrench. Just remember to unload it after each use or you'll fatigue the spring.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yes Harbor Freight sells a perfectly decent $20 chinese 150 ftlb 1/2" clicker torque wrench. Just remember to unload it after each use or you'll fatigue the spring.

A Pro-tip for even an expensive one ;)

Troy. B)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hello all,

It seems that the torque wrench is expensive
What do you people use to do the job?

my car 2000 Ford Taurus

Thank you
I got myself a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight tools for about $15 with a coupon. It's a good value even without the coupon.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Alternative tool for torque wrench: A calibrated arm and hand.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
... or as a mechanic friend use to say, tighten to 1/2 turn before it breaks off.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
"Torque it until it strips, then back off a quarter turn."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts