Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently looking over a Taurus police car in my local salvage yard and it looks like it was set up to run on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) or Propane (LP). Somebody definitely got there before I did and pulled the regulator but left everything else intact.

I pulled the Alternative Fuels control module and even found a set of police center caps, but should I go all out and try to get all of the parts (minus the regulator) for a future conversion?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is the cost and labor truly worth the return on investment? Dug up some old research data comparing gasoline, FFV and CNG Taurus':

0-60 times
FFV on M85 - 11.6 seconds
FFV on gasoline - 11.8 seconds
Bi-fuel on CNG - 14.4 seconds
Bi-fuel on gasoline - 11.8 seconds
Gasoline - 10.7 seconds

Fuel consumption:
1992 gasoline - 20,029 miles on 2,423 gallons (8.3 MPG)
1994 gasoline - 15,212 miles on 1,268 gallons (11.9 MPG)
1994 CNG - 9,662 miles on 886 gallons of CNG, 256 gallons of gasoline (8.5 MPG)

Those were real world tests done by New York cab drivers in Rochester. Laboratory results came up with 33.7 MPG Highway / 19.4 MPG City on CNG and 36.1 MPG Highway / 21.5 MPG City on a regular gasoline model.

Looks like $1.55/gallon for CNG in your area right now. So I ask you, is it worth it for you?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be able to use either fuel at any given time. Let's say there was a gasoline shortage or something: I would be able to just flip a switch and run on the alternative fuel (CNG/LP/Hydrogen) without a hitch.

I also have a friend who would is CNG-Certified and would do the install on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Better off waiting on a CNG vehicle for sale. I know Ford made the Crown Vic, F150, and some of the full size vans with the CNG option, most around the late 90's, and early 00's, so they could keep cranking out gas guzzler suvs, also same reason for the flex fuel vehicle craze around this time. The home fueling kits are kind of expensive, and you need a gas line close by. I want a CNG vehicle, but a duel fuel one that can also run unleaded for when I go out of town (there are some that are). The regulators are a troublesome part on CNG vehicles, probably why it was already taken (not a cheap part). I would imagine a CNG vehicle's engine may last longer, becouse CNG burns much cleaner than unleaded gas does.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may just pull the parts and add them to my horde.

This just seems to be kind of rare it being a Taurus with a 3.8 Essex set up for dual fuel operation.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so due to something called Gasoline Gallon Equivalent (GGE) it actually makes sense to do this conversion.

I can get most of the kit out of a Crown Victoria for around $1,000 and I already have the fuel computer from the police Taurus in the yard. Now all I have to do is gather the parts, figure out how to wire up the computer, and hire a certified technician to install it.

(Oh, and btw I can get 50% of equipment purchase and installation costs reimbursed on my taxes next year!)

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts