Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 21 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I noticed this morning that all my power window quit working!! I guess it is unlikely that all the window regulator fails at the same time. What could it be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Is anything else out in your car? I say this because my first guess would be to go check your fuses (hood and under dash) for any blown ones.

Also, are your power windows not going down from the driver's control panel or do they not work on any window button?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is anything else out in your car? I say this because my first guess would be to go check your fuses (hood and under dash) for any blown ones.

Also, are your power windows not going down from the driver's control panel or do they not work on any window button?
[/b]

Thanks for the head-up. I already checked the fuse box.
And the window can't work on any window button, not just the ones on the driver's panel.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
The windows are powered through the accessory delay relay. It is under the dash on the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Check the tiny 10A fuse in location 27 in the fuse box under the dash. I lost my courtesy lights, dome light and power windows. Sure enough it was blown. Replaced it and all works again. Did you also check the bigger relays in the fusebox under the dash?

·
Registered
82 Posts
With me being a mechanic in training. I just finished my electricity class and I learned that if ALL of your window motors quit working, it is either a wiring problem, but 95% of the time, the driver side window switch, the one with all four buttons is bad.

Go to the salvage yard. Find a new switch, change it out, and that should fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
lost all my windows also. Turned out to be broken feed wire in door opening loom.
[/b]

Had a similar issue. My windows would work, but only from the master control. The wire that feeds the lock out switch was broken. That rubber loom also was holding a fair amount of water inside. Which also doesn't help matters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car windows

The windows are powered through the accessory delay relay. It is under the dash on the fuse box.
I had replaced my accessory delay relay and the windows still will not go up or down. There is no noise of any kind when I attempt to get them to move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dome lite doesnt turn off

Check the tiny 10A fuse in location 27 in the fuse box under the dash. I lost my courtesy lights, dome light and power windows. Sure enough it was blown. Replaced it and all works again. Did you also check the bigger relays in the fusebox under the dash?
On my 1997 I had to pull fuse #27 to turn off the dome lite, consequently my windows dont work now either. There must be a short in this ckt that keeps the dome lite on when all doors are closed. Could it be a short in the dome light as the midas mechanic thinks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 2000 SE. The fuse kept blowing. After much troubleshooting, found that heat from sitting in the sun every day had melted the insulation on the wires up in the roof for the dome light. Wires were bare, thus continually shorting and causing fuse to blow and thus, windows etc not to work. If you find that that fuse keeps blowing, pry the plastic off the passenger windshield A pillar , you will find a small connector which connects the power wires to the dome light. Simple test: disconnect that connector - then if the fuse does not blow when you put key on, there is a short up in the roof wires.
You can fish wires and repair them, or just run with the small connector disconnected and no dome light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a similar problem on my 2000 SE. The fuse kept blowing. After much troubleshooting, found that heat from sitting in the sun every day had melted the insulation on the wires up in the roof for the dome light. Wires were bare, thus continually shorting and causing fuse to blow and thus, windows etc not to work. If you find that that fuse keeps blowing, pry the plastic off the passenger windshield A pillar , you will find a small connector which connects the power wires to the dome light. Simple test: disconnect that connector - then if the fuse does not blow when you put key on, there is a short up in the roof wires.
You can fish wires and repair them, or just run with the small connector disconnected and no dome light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2007 Taurus developed a similar problem back in the spring. My husband started out trying to change fuses, which just continued to blow. He knew there must be a short somewhere in the wiring, as he had gotten a few mice out of the car. It's a second car that we just use to run errands in. He spent hours trying to run down wires that may have been damaged by mice, and spent hours researching on the web to try and figure out the problem. He even bought a new GEM, thinking that may be it. Because of this post from 2016, he decided to remove the dome light and search those wires, only to find out today, that a mouse had gotten into the headliner, chewed several wires and made an impressive bed. He fixed the wires, and everything, as of today, works wonderfully.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
My 2007 Taurus developed a similar problem back in the spring. My husband started out trying to change fuses, which just continued to blow. He knew there must be a short somewhere in the wiring, as he had gotten a few mice out of the car. It's a second car that we just use to run errands in. He spent hours trying to run down wires that may have been damaged by mice, and spent hours researching on the web to try and figure out the problem. He even bought a new GEM, thinking that may be it. Because of this post from 2016, he decided to remove the dome light and search those wires, only to find out today, that a mouse had gotten into the headliner, chewed several wires and made an impressive bed. He fixed the wires, and everything, as of today, works wonderfully.
,Daughter's '98 parked in their garage with the windows down. Mice go into the climate control and build a nest, one died. Guess who got the job of fixing that?
-chart-

·
Registered
1 Posts
With me being a mechanic in training. I just finished my electricity class and I learned that if ALL of your window motors quit working, it is either a wiring problem, but 95% of the time, the driver side window switch, the one with all four buttons is bad.

Go to the salvage yard. Find a new switch, change it out, and that should fix it.
Replaced the five button (master) switch, problem was not fixed. Thinking it's a broken/corroded wire in the black box in the door hinge. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I just had the same problem on an 07 Taurus -- none of the window switches worked. Based on the advice in this forum, I looked in the accordion, and found two broken wires. Fixing that solved the problem.
Been there, done that, couple of cars. Tedious place to work.
Easy to check wires, but hard to work in the tight space.
-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have t
Hi folks,

I noticed this morning that all my power window quit working!! I guess it is unlikely that all the window regulator fails at the same time. What could it be?

Thanks.
I have the same exact issue I got no blinkers no dash displays no windows and no power locks and I have removed my radio from my car maybe the radio could be the issue

·
Registered
542 Posts
Could be caused by what all these have in common: the GEM (General Electronic Module). It is part of the fuse panel underneath the dash.

We had this problem here before. Then I bluffed correctly that it might be fuse #16 (15 Amp) which controls the power to the GEM. You might look at that first.

See also fuse-box.info Taurus for your model year if you no longer have the Owner's Manual (which BTW is downloadable from Ford).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could be caused by what all these have in common: the GEM (General Electronic Module). It is part of the fuse panel underneath the dash.

We had this problem here before. Then I bluffed correctly that it might be fuse #16 (15 Amp) which controls the power to the GEM. You might look at that first.

See also fuse-box.info Taurus for your model year if you no longer have the Owner's Manual (which BTW is downloadable from Ford).
No both fuses are find 22 (15amp) and 34 (5amp) are fine the car is a 2004 without a connected radio and sat for 2 years with no power

·
Registered
542 Posts
No both fuses are find 22 (15amp) and 34 (5amp) are fine the car is a 2004 without a connected radio and sat for 2 years with no power
You're right. On the 2004 model it is definitely not fuse 16. Might be fuse 32 though, since it says "GEM power". If that's not the culprit, you might check fuses 1 and 3 in the engine compartment. They seem to power the whole passenger compartment fuse box. Last resort is to replace the GEM itself. They are sold on eBay

Taurus BCM

(also called BCM for Body Control Module).

1 - 21 of 30 Posts