Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mercury Sable with some handling issues. I hit a large pothole in the road. After hitting this pothole I took the car to Belle Tire to check the alignment and have the wheels balanced. They told me that it did not need an alignment. Since hitting the pothole my steering wheel is off center and the car shakes at 75MPH. Does this sound like a major problem?? Or just an alignment?? See the attachment for the pothole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the car is pulling one way or another it probably needs an alignment. If the steering wheel was centered and now is not it needs an alignment. The wobbling is probably a bad tire, bent rim or the wheel weight was thrown off.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 25 2009, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727771
If the car is pulling one way or another it probably needs an alignment. If the steering wheel was centered and now is not it needs an alignment. The wobbling is probably a bad tire, bent rim or the wheel weight was thrown off.[/b]
:werd: I wouldn't be surprised if you had a bent rim...I had one that caused a shake at certain MPH ranges.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
1/2 ounce off will cause a vibration at 70+ - so have the tires balanced. You could also have a bent rim.

Most shop will tell you that your alignment is good if the specs are 'green'. BUt your specs can still be "green" and still be far enought to the edge of the spec that the wheel can be off. Many times Tauruii need camber fixed. To fix that - the strut towers need to be drilled. Many shops do that but it will cause extra up to $150. We charge $70 to do both sides. Camber by the way causes pulls, tire wear, and vibraating at higher speeds if it is off enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts