Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 Taurus is having a little problem and I don't know if I should correct it. When I go down the freeway or road and I am going more than about 40 mph the car wants to drift to the right when I let go of the wheel. I don't have to fight the car when I'm driving. I decided to take the car on the freeway I got into the far left lane and when there was no cars around I let go of the wheel and the car drifts to the right.

I called a reputable tire shop and they said it could be radial pull on one of the front tires. I took it to the shop and they switched the front tires. They said if it pulls left it is radial pull. If it still pulls right I may have an alignment. Since this place is next to the freeway I took the car on the freeway and it still drifts right.

Should I invest $59 in an alignment or just leave it alone?

One other thing I called my Ford dealer and asked how much an alignment job would cost they told me $50. But they also said that if some sort of alignment punch was not punched out of the body it will cost an additional $300 on top of the $50 dollars. Does any of this make sense? :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
If they need to adjust the camber angle on the front they will have to drill out the spot welds on the alignment plates. Those are located on the top of the strut towers, under the hood. There are three bolts coming up from the strut assembly. They are bolted through the alignment plate.

That plate is spot welded to the top of the strut tower. If you drill through the welds you can then move the plate to adjust the camber. The official Ford book procedure calls for pop rivoting the plates back in place after the alignment is complete.

I assume this procedure is what they mean.

·
Registered
341 Posts
my guess is alignment. i just replaced the drivers side tie rod end on my car and knocked the alignment all to hell. now it pulls to the right. was scheduled to get it fixed, but missed the appointment.

anyway, almost surely alignment. as stated above, they'll have to drill holes to adjust the camber.

don't pay 50 bucks for a front end alignment. most places charge 25-30 for front end. even in bigger cities it shouldn't be much more than that.

watch for tire wear also. if it's the alignment, the tires will wear on one side or the other. easy and quick way to pop the belts.

good luck

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
To tell is the camber plates have been modified, open the hood and inspect the strut towers. They are on either side of the engine bay, vertically inline with each wheel. You should see three small nuts in a triangle spaced about 3-4 inches apart, and a large nut in the center of the tower.

If the camber adjustment has been modified, there will some noticeable holes from drilling, or scrapes from an air hammer. The modification should be very obvious. If everything looks clean, unmolested, and comparable to the rest of the engine bay, they most likely have not been modified.

Unless your car has been lowered, or suffered some sort of collision, your camber should not need to be adjusted.

More than likely, your steering alignment is off, you have a worn out lower ball joint, or a worn out tie rod. Worn out strut mounts can also cause problems.

I think the Taurus requires a 4 wheel alignment, so expect to pay closer to $80 for all four wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts