Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Well, since Sam got my tools, I should be able to do it this week, hopefully tomorrow. Depends on if my room mate wants to carpool to work, and if he'll drive first. Thanks a lot for bringing this to everyone's attention. I link this post on the Ranger forums, so more will know to look out for it. Although I haven't read about any total failures over there either, or any mention of it, maybe we can get some action from the manufacturer if enough people show the same problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What happened to me was that the pin that holds the gear completely broke off so the part was seperated from the gear and just spinning . I took pics called rock auto and submitted a labor claim with them .

As far as documentation I have the e-mails that rock auto sent me regarding my labor .

They werent sure if they could do anything for me other than credit because I installed the part my self. They told me to get a quote from a shop of the cost for the repair (REPLACEMENT OF THE PART) And maybe DORMAN could offer me something. It wasnt until I broke down and had the work done @ the shop and provided them with a recipt that they gave me a refund for the labor :( . Not good for us do it yourselfers !

So in the long run I ended up buying the OEM part and having installed for free!

Mine failed about 2 weeks after I installed it so around 300miles

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
That happened to me about 2 months ago , I thought it was a freak accident ! Anyhow I got a full refund from rock auto and DORMAN paid me $180.00 for labor to have the unit changed @ a shop!
[/b]
Did the synchro actually fail, or did you just see the oil coming up? I'm interested in how long it takes before it fails completely. Luckily for me, my buddy is moving up here too, but hadn't left yet, so I was able to call and and ask him to get some tools from my house so I could do this this week, before I make the 130 mile drive back home on the weekend.
[/b][/quote]

My part just had oil coming up and thru. There was a considerable oil leak coming from the unit. It had not failed yet, wasn't making any unusual noises. I replaced it with a FoMoCo unit and the car has been fine since. The Dorman was in there for about 3 months.
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Well, I got it replaced today. My part has oil on the upper housing, but isn't obviously broken. My engine does seem to run and idle smoother, though. I have to say, this is one of the easiest jobs on this engine, except for having to turn the engine by hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to replace the Camshaft Synchronizer on my 2002 Taurus. It sounds like I need to stay away from the Dorman unit. Will I be OK if I use the remanufactured Napa unit by A1 Cardone? Is there any other source for the A1 Cardone Camshaft Synchronizer other than Napa?

Thanks in advance for replies!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I need to replace the Camshaft Synchronizer on my 2002 Taurus. It sounds like I need to stay away from the Dorman unit. Will I be OK if I use the remanufactured Napa unit by A1 Cardone? Is there any other source for the A1 Cardone Camshaft Synchronizer other than Napa?

Thanks in advance for replies!
[/b]
Yes, you can get them thru others besides Napa. Just ask the sales person the ReMan's name. They sometimes rebadge them to store brand/warehouse brand.
The A1 Cardone Part # is 30-S2600L without step on plug. (This will fit both step or no step plug.)
http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Produc...ics/default.asp

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished replacing the synchronizer (bought a rebuilt part from Advance). I marked the location before removing the old part and everything seems to be fine. However, I am a little concerned after reading about the potential consequences of improper installation. If everything is running fine does that mean I'm in the clear?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Yeah, improper installation would put the fuel system out of timing with the rest of the engine, so you would know. For future reference, the way I've replaced mine (twice) is to jack the car up, take the passenger side wheel off, and then put the alignment tool on top of the synchro, and then turn the crank clockwise until the alignment tool is aligned and sits down. Then you're all set. Just done turn the crank, and you can yank out the old one, set the new one with the alignment tool, and pop it in. Good to go. You don't even have to take anything else off the car other than the rear three spark plug wires, and almost zero chance of improper installation, since you're keeping it with the old alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:angry: Just like you guys said: My new Dorman is starting to leak oil out of the top. It's only been in there for about 6 weeks! I figured I'd get a little more time out of it. Hopefully, it will last another week and a half until I can fix it. What a piece of crap!

So, my concern now is getting my money back from the auto store. I bought it from an Auto Value store, and just explained the situation to them; the guy there said he'd look into it to see if there's any way I can get my money back. Hopefully, Dorman has put some sort of recall on this. Anyone know???

Which brand should I put in now??

Big thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
:angry: Just like you guys said: My new Dorman is starting to leak oil out of the top. It's only been in there for about 6 weeks! I figured I'd get a little more time out of it. Hopefully, it will last another week and a half until I can fix it. What a piece of crap!

So, my concern now is getting my money back from the auto store. I bought it from an Auto Value store, and just explained the situation to them; the guy there said he'd look into it to see if there's any way I can get my money back. Hopefully, Dorman has put some sort of recall on this. Anyone know???

Which brand should I put in now??

Big thanks for any help!
[/b]
Get the A1 Cardone Reman or a new Ford unit. Dont wait too long its a timebomb!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lucky for me: the auto store said they'd give me a new Ford unit in exchange for the old one. Whew.
Now, I just gotta hope the car lasts another week. Though, from what I've been reading here, seems like some folks drove a few months with the Dorman.
It sure sounds to me like ALL the Dorman ones are bad.
Has anyone heard of permanent engine damage resulting from these things? There's gotta be some unsuspecting customers out there.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Get the A1 Cardone Reman or a new Ford unit. Dont wait too long its a timebomb!
[/b]

Thank you for this information. My friend's '01 Sable started chirping a few weeks ago (she told me yesterday). I was going to order the part from one of the local auto parts stores and save her some money. But after reading this post, it's clear to me that replacing the parts with Motorcraft will save her more money in the long run.

The dealer was the only place locally that had them in stock anyway. Synchronizer and sensor cost $200.

:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
UPDATE: I received both the Dorman part and the Motorcraft part today (I ordered the Motorcraft part shortly after ordering the Dorman part as a result of this thread)

The picture says it all.
[attachmentid=24682]

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just found this thread today, went out and and felt around the synchro, and sure enough, I felt oil on it. I've had it in since this summer, so it looks like when I go home this weekend, I've got another job to do. Anyone think we could contact Dorman about this?
[/b]

MrPants,

I work for Dorman Products. I came across this forum and found posts regarding our camshaft synchronizers.
I appreciate posts from vehicle owners like yourself, they are a great help in monitoring quality issues and customer satisfaction. I apologize for the issue with the synchronizer. The issue with the synchronizer is being addressed by our engineering and quality departments. If you have any concerns or issues give our customer service line a call at 1 800 523 2492.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Just found this thread today, went out and and felt around the synchro, and sure enough, I felt oil on it. I've had it in since this summer, so it looks like when I go home this weekend, I've got another job to do. Anyone think we could contact Dorman about this?
[/b]

MrPants,

I work for Dorman Products. I came across this forum and found posts regarding our camshaft synchronizers.
I appreciate posts from vehicle owners like yourself, they are a great help in monitoring quality issues and customer satisfaction. I apologize for the issue with the synchronizer. The issue with the synchronizer is being addressed by our engineering and quality departments. If you have any concerns or issues give our customer service line a call at 1 800 523 2492.
[/b][/quote]

Dorman,

It appears this problem isn't isolated to Taurus owners. Ranger owners with the Vulcan engine are having similar problems with Dorman parts.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=222238

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Also make a note to look at the single wall roll pin in the Dorman part v/s the triple wall on the OEM Ford part or the A1 Cardone re-man. The single wall pin will fail(split in half ) I had one do it........take a look.

Dorman,
The part is out of wack in many ways......roll pin, excess slop up and down of shaft, the gear is a press fit application and i know the ones I had were all loose on the shafts(seriously), the body of the assembly where it mates in the block is too small......it has too much clearence...not a snug fit as it should be...... I hope they get it lined out...first thing is to quit making them in CHINA!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I picked up one of the Cardone Remanufactured Parts for my 96 Vulcan, and the part that I received does not look like the original synchronizer that I removed from my car last year, or the used one that I installed from my spare parts box last year. I am afraid that it may be a Dorman Unit, since Cardone sells both New and Remanufactuered Synchronizers. It has the triple roll pin. There's a small hole drilled in the shaft about 1/8" below the bottom of the gear. The inside of the shaft itself was not cleaned very well, as there are metal shavings inside the shaft. There is a casted-in-hole in the body about 1/2" above the notch in the photos that holds the keeper/anti-rotation tab for the washer between the gear and the body. There are two spots that have been crudely ground down. The first is above the cast-in-hole that I described previously, on the hold-down flange for the syncronizer numbers are laser etched here, probably the date of remanufacture (BA 7J27). The second grounded spot is on the side of the synchronizer above the plug in the body. The number 22 is cast on the body, between the plug and the ground-down area. Up and down play on the shaft is about 1/32".

Two numbers on the CPS stamped or etched "7124", and ink stamped on the "potted" area: "AW N7". Below the "7124" another number or series of numbers was ground off the top of the CPS.

No Ford logo castings or markings anywhere on the assembly.

Could it be possible that this is a newer generation of the synchronizer (the "tab" version) that some people with newer cars asked about when they were trying to purchase replacement synchronizers? Is Cardone backdating newer version synchronizers to work on earlier cars. Is this a Dorman or Other Aftermarket Synchronizer that Cardone Remanufactured, or a later Genuine Ford Part? I can get photos before I go to install it (today, Saturday), but someone else would have to post the photos, as I don't know how to for this Site.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I dug up the original synchronizer assembly from my engine earlier today, to compare with the one that I bought from AutoZone as a Cardone Rebuilt.

Turns out that my memory was wrong, and the unit that I received is identical to the Original Ford Unit I removed from the engine last year. The holes in the shaft and the body are on the old unit. the crudely ground off spots on the body of the new unit, and the CPS are where the Ford Part Numbers were cast or etched onto the parts. Where the number 22 is cast on the replacement unit, the original unit has the number "3" cast on the body.

So I am convinced that what I got in the Cardone Remanufactured Synchronizer Assembly Box are INFACT BRAND NEW Ford Parts ! ! ! NOT REMANUFACTURED PARTS ! ! !

I suspect that what cardone has done is buy a quantity of new synchronizer assemblies from the Ford OEM Manufacturer, or from Ford directly to fill their wholesale pipeline and supply parts to the Auto Parts Stores because of a shortage of ACTUAL Cores that can be rebuilt.

I suggest that if you need to replace your syncronizer, you try to locate a Cardone Remanufactured Product, and see if the one/s that you find are also Brand New Ford Part/s, and buy one. The CORE CHARGE is $60 at AutoZone, which is high, but probably reflects the shortage of cores. The $68 (not including the core charge) that I paid at AutoZone was a bargain for a brand-new Original Ford Part (or Ford OEM Part).

Since I have two used/worn-out Synchronizers, I am going to turn in the more worn unit, and retrieve my $60 core charge.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought one 12/01/07 thru Napa as a new product, so I was reading this post and thought I'd better check where mine was made.

Turns out that Napa uses Dorman to supply their Belkamp part bk6002907.

So I just checked mine and it is leaking oil as well. I sent Dorman an email and I'll call Napa monday. Hopefully I'll get a refund and can purchase a better one!!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yes,
Napa sells both....the Reman/Cardone part and also the New(POS)/Dorman.

You really got to know the real deal up front because most countermen will sell you the Dorman thinking they are doing the customer a favor because its the better deal on money.....so they think......

This is a fine example CHINA made parts. Its starting to really hit a nerve. Companys are really hurting their customers but most dont care anymore it seems due to all the junk being imported. MOST everthing is being made there......ARGGGG!

I can only imagine how many of these units have actually caused some complete engine destruction...I'm sure they are out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I appreciate the additional posts. All of you were very helpful in pointing out issues with the cam synchronizer, as I am going to forward them to our engineering department. Your posts are a valuable tool in addressing this issue with our product. I apologize again for your inconvenience. If you have any concerns or issues give our customer service line a call at 1 800 523 2492.

41 - 60 of 234 Posts
About this Discussion
233 Replies
124 Participants
Pro Ford
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing