Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 234 Posts

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
OMG I just came to the maintenance and repair section here to post a question about oil leaking through the $600 locating a drastically leaking (oil) engine! I can't believe this, because on of the leaks reported to me was from the CPS...and I just saw it with my own eyes. I will get an OEM one and replace it immediately. DO NOT BUY THE DORMAN part, in fact, I am contacting Rock Auto right now.

Mine was on a 2001 Taurus. [/b]
I take it you have a dorman installed now. :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> OMG I just came to the maintenance and repair section here to post a question about oil leaking through the cps. I just spent $600 locating a drastically leaking (oil) engine! I can't believe this, because on of the leaks reported to me was from the CPS...and I just saw it with my own eyes. I will get an OEM one and replace it immediately. DO NOT BUY THE DORMAN part, in fact, I am contacting Rock Auto right now.

Mine was on a 2001 Taurus. [/b]
I take it you have a dorman installed now. :dunno:
[/b][/quote]

Yes, the Dorman is in the car right now, and the car is at the shop right now. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow and drive it back to my house (1.5 miles). I am wondering now if I should spend the $300 they wanted to replace the CPS with a good one. It would save me a lot of headache if I get home and the Dorman comes out in pieces or something. I need to know if it will just pull straight out like the first one did.

It's a simple enough job to do, if there aren't any complications.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rock Auto said that the Dorman part has a lifetime warranty. However, this is something that I am no longer comfortable with as if this part fails my engine could suffer severe damage....let alone oil all over my garage floor.

According to RA policy, if the part is warranteed, they must ship you a new replacement part. I expressed my disatisfaction with this, and the customer service person said that the only other thing he could do would be to give me a store credit if and only if they were unable to fulfill the shipment. Lucky me, they are currently out of stock and I can get a store credit.

When I get the Dorman out of the car, I will take pics and post here.

Buyer beware.

Damn, I am pissed. Nice Xmas this just became.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I shot you a PM back thebbbrain. Im telling you guys there are going to be countless others have these to fail. I hope they find there way to this thread for documentation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, I have to old part out of the car. Nothing out of the ordinary (nothing apparantly broken) to report, so I didn't take any pictures. It is evident however, that oil was coming up through the center of the synchro and finding it's way to the underside of the Taurus and then to the floor of my garage by way of the CP sensor. The inside of the sensor is completely coated with oil. Strange thing is that there are o-rings to contain the oil, so I am not completely sure where the oil was coming out. All I know is that when it started to leak, it was leaking a whole lot! The spot on the floor went from about 2" square to over a square foot in 2 days....and the transmission area near the CPS was completely covered with oil and the cps housing was completely covered externally as well. Once the car was completely cleaned, it was allowed to sit and run. After the run period, the cps was completely covered in oil again.

Just keep your eyes peeled for leaks around the CPS if you develop a mysterious leak after installing one of these parts.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The oil is coming up thru the assembly.......and into the sensor area and leaking from there I assure you. The gear and shaft are deflecting off the camshafts gear and due to the piss poor tolerances...causing it to wipe out the bushing/seals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed ford synchro ($132) and sensor ($32) from local ford dealer.
I had a variable squeak but no apparent damage. Observations:

1)nobody had any aftermarket syncros in stock - Dorman is only choice listed for Advance, autozone also lists cardone new and rebuilt w/core $
2) marked manifold with synchro slot and both sides of tab
3)index the trigger tab ~ 1 tooth to the left of target just before engagement of gears as it will rotate about that much clockwise as it engages the gears.
4) After relearn, idle was noticeably smoother, squeak gone

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my Dorman part installed with only about 200 or so miles on it. I, too, will keep a close eye on it to see if things go bad. I guess I should pop it out at about 1,000 or so miles to see if the roll pin is still OK.
Curious to see if others will have problems.... :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have my Dorman part installed with only about 200 or so miles on it. I, too, will keep a close eye on it to see if things go bad. I guess I should pop it out at about 1,000 or so miles to see if the roll pin is still OK.
Curious to see if others will have problems.... :dunno:
[/b]
Def keep eye out for an oil leak around the sychro (Dorman) and tranny area. Like I described, it was a lot of oil when it started going...not like a drop here or there. I looked under it car and could see three drips ready to fall at once! Big mess. So far so good (after replacement), no more drips, floor is dry.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE>

I just finished putting a Reman/A1 Cardone(#30-S2600L) unit in my step-daughters 99 Taurus...the darn origional started chriping like a nest of birds the other day. The bushings were toast.....110,000 miles.

YOU WONT BELEIVE THIS!!!!!!!

I pulled the unit out of the box and was getting ready to install it and I hearda rattle in the unnit like a ball bearing ratting around. I found the problem! There was a damn odd shpe hunk of steel stuck up in the bottom of the syncroshaft. This was lodged all the way at the bottom of the hole where the shaft was drilled. When I say bottom I mean at the same depth the gear is on the shaft. I eventually after 10-15 mins get it to fall out (freaking miracle). I have identified what it was. It was a damn component they use in the tumblers when they recondition(clean) the damn thing. WTF!!! If I had not noticed and removed it, Im thinking?..... could it possibly cause the oil pump shaft to bottom out prematurely......Im not sure how far up in the syncro it goes. I should have looked up in the old one before I took it in for core. Please inspect ALL parts. The A1 Cardone parts are great but they missed this.........Human error missed it during inspection.

The SAGA continues............. :unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
We bought a 2002 Taurus in September. I had the Used Car Dealer replace the Cam Synchronizer because it chirped all the time. I don't know if they had it replaced with a Ford or Dorman or Cardone. I can see a number that looks like a Ford number on the Synchronizer body, but I can't get a hit on any database.

Does anyone know what the current Ford part number is for the synchronizer?

We currently have over 5,000 miles on the synchronizer and no oil leaks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How does Dorman label their parts? Is it cast on the parts or stamped with an indelible marker?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Just found this thread today, went out and and felt around the synchro, and sure enough, I felt oil on it. I've had it in since this summer, so it looks like when I go home this weekend, I've got another job to do. Anyone think we could contact Dorman about this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
That happened to me about 2 months ago , I thought it was a freak accident ! Anyhow I got a full refund from rock auto and DORMAN paid me $180.00 for labor to have the unit changed @ a shop!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That happened to me about 2 months ago , I thought it was a freak accident ! Anyhow I got a full refund from rock auto and DORMAN paid me $180.00 for labor to have the unit changed @ a shop!
[/b]
Do you have documentation of this? I would've like some additional compensation other than just a 'store credit'.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
[/b]
Did the synchro actually fail, or did you just see the oil coming up? I'm interested in how long it takes before it fails completely. Luckily for me, my buddy is moving up here too, but hadn't left yet, so I was able to call and and ask him to get some tools from my house so I could do this this week, before I make the 130 mile drive back home on the weekend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Did the synchro actually fail, or did you just see the oil coming up? I'm interested in how long it takes before it fails completely. Luckily for me, my buddy is moving up here too, but hadn't left yet, so I was able to call and and ask him to get some tools from my house so I could do this this week, before I make the 130 mile drive back home on the weekend.
[/b][/quote]

My part just had oil coming up and thru. There was a considerable oil leak coming from the unit. It had not failed yet, wasn't making any unusual noises. I replaced it with a FoMoCo unit and the car has been fine since. The Dorman was in there for about 3 months.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Fellow Members,
I installed 3 new Dorman(CHINESE) syncro units back the 2nd week of October (2) #689-104 (1996-1997 3.0L Vulcan) and (1) #689-107 (this was for a 98 3.0L Vulcan) . I put one in my brothers 97 GL, 1 in my mother-in-laws 97GL an the other into my mothers 98 SE.
The reason I went a head and chaged these 3 is in a thread I made about my wifes GL Here>Read Here
Fast forward to last night, my brother said his car was leaking oil horribly. I checked it out and it was coming out of the sensor on top the new syncro. When I pulled the sensor off it was completly full of oil. WTF! I yanked the syncro unit out and I was totally Horrified. The roll pin in the gear was split in half and falling out of the gear and the gear was loose on the damn shaft....this is a press fit application(supposed to be). It also wore the thrust washer on top the gear. JUNKED! 2500 miles. I was fortunate it did not grenade his engine.

So I go pick up the mother-in-laws and pulled it out.....the freaking gear was loose on that one and had play in it also...not totally failed yet but was already stressing the pin horribly and it has oil weeping under the sensor already. JUNK #2. around 1500 miles.

I then go pick up my mothers 98 and you guessed it...the freaking pin and gear are loose here also...JUNK.

These units WILL FAIL! I fortunatly had all the old units lying on a shelf and put them back in till my Reman units(A1 Cardone...USA) come in Monday. The parts house was astonished but not suprised....loose tolerances and sub-standard metallargy.

Do yourself a favor if you are using one remove it and inspect it ASAP! I could understand finding a bad part out of a barrel but all three is a whole other ballgame.
BTW, Im going to pull the Reman-Napa(actually A1 Cardone) out of my wifes tommorow to see how it looks. I BET it is perfectly fine.
Yours Truly,
Pro Ford
[/b]
Just to bring back my first post......ABOVE
These units are JUNK please do yourself a favor and take them out. I was fortunate enough he(my brother) brought his car back down to me when he did. The oil leaking like a waterfall is the sign its goin south fast. Im not joking.....the roll pin was broken in half and falling out ........Im getting pretty pissed the more i see new unfortunate souls that have installed them and having them fail.
I should have pursued the situation and tried to re-coupe my time and labor involved with the 3 cars I had to deal with that I had installed thier JUNK in. It was a big waste of my time. Time is money to a mechanic (side job out of my shop)like myself.
I should have took pics of all that crap......I guess Im too late now.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts
About this Discussion
233 Replies
124 Participants
Pro Ford
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing