Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Standard Brand Camshaft Synchronizer

I Checked with Standard Brand on their CSA5 camshaft synchronizer and this is the response I received:The country of origin for this part is Taiwan. Thank you for your interest. now has anyone had any experience with this part or would it be lumped in with the China made CS?

·
Registered
22,438 Posts
Imo, Taiwan produced goods are usually a giant leap in quality over China. That being said, I'd still opt for the Motorcraft cam sync.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dorman/Help parts are fine for certain simple things, but I would not entrust Dorman for a critical engine part such as this, one that drives the engine oil pump. It might come with some sort of warranty, but if it outright fails you can lose all oil pressure, and be rest assured your engine will be toast and they aren’t going to cover you for that.There is a reason why a Motorcraft one is around $150.00, a good name brand aftermarket one about $85.00, and the Dorman garbage only $33.99. :eek:

-Mark-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Uh Oh Saw the thread too late

I'm a member who only comes here when I have a problem. (I know, I know). Unfortunately I found what was causing the squeaking sound on Youtube and ordered my parts and didn't come here first to check with all of you knowledgeable people (I know, I know). After installing a new Cam synchro last night to my horror I find I may have installed a junk part, the dreaded Dorman brand synchro. After reading all of these posts I have an Amazon order made out and I'm getting ready to hit the "submit order" button. Please tell me that the Dorman part has improved, or should I hit the submit button and do the job all over again ? The part didn't line up the way I would have liked but is not showing any codes and runs fine along with the new plugs that were also installed. I guess I should go ahead and order the Motorcraft synchro and keep an eye out for the oil leak and install it asap after I receive the new part .

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I'm a member who only comes here when I have a problem. (I know, I know). Unfortunately I found what was causing the squeaking sound on Youtube and ordered my parts and didn't come here first to check with all of you knowledgeable people (I know, I know). After installing a new Cam synchro last night to my horror I find I may have installed a junk part, the dreaded Dorman brand synchro. After reading all of these posts I have an Amazon order made out and I'm getting ready to hit the "submit order" button. Please tell me that the Dorman part has improved, or should I hit the submit button and do the job all over again ? The part didn't line up the way I would have liked but is not showing any codes and runs fine along with the new plugs that were also installed. I guess I should go ahead and order the Motorcraft synchro and keep an eye out for the oil leak and install it asap after I receive the new part .
You answered your own question, highlighted in bold ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
swapped out the Dorman for a Motorcraft

Just finished swapping out the Dorman crap synchro that I installed a week ago for a Motorcraft. Guess I'm good to go for 80,000 mi. or more hopefully. This job gets much easier the more you do it that's for sure. I think I might go into the business of changing these out ! Half price for what the dealership charges sounds like a good deal !

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
The A1-Cardone units are still going strong in the Bulls I installed them in. Current mileage @ 255,000 miles on the wifes Bull original engine and trans. I would have to go back thru my thread to see the mileage I installed it but been several yrs now.

Just an update.

Thomas

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Old thread, quick question: has anyone ever tried the Duralast things from Autozone? If so, what are your experiences?

Thank you.
Considering it drives your oil pump which is the heart and lfe blood of the car why use anything but a Motorcraft, Order it on line an save money.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Considering it drives your oil pump which is the heart and lfe blood of the car why use anything but a Motorcraft, Order it on line an save money.
Point taken, after reading all I could here on the forum. Thank you!

Our bull squeals every now and then. Seems to do it more in hot, humid weather. Those were common weather conditions for the past couple of months; but for the next 3 or 4 months the humidity will be almost zero.

Regardless, I want to get this fixed. And I've been doing quite a bit of maintenance on it myself lately, saving lots of money. Needless to say: I have a thirst for more! :lol2:

I bought the Autozone (Duralast) part in anticipation of replacing the synchronizer (cheap stuff); but after reading more I've abandoned the idea of installing that one. And so I'm going for the OEM parts.

Amazon seems to be cheapest. Part number DA-2089 for the synchronizer itself; DU-81 for the sensor. Do I have that correct, for our 2006 Vulcan?

And the sensor may not be busted; but after all of these miles it seems like good sense to replace it too.

Thanks,

Erik

Oh, and: while replacing the OSS sensor about a week ago I noticed quite a bit of tranny oil in that area. Could this be related to a failing camshaft sensor??

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is Standard Motor Product's version of the synchro?

I replaced mine back in February. Since Amazon had both Dorman and Standard, I chose to shy away from the Dorman and went with the Standard Motor Parts. I remember back in the day when I worked at a parts warehouse, Standard was known for excellent ignition parts.

Has anyone heard/had issues with Standard's Synchronizers? The chripping went away - so far so good for the last 4 months.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
At Rockauto, Power Select and Dorman are two favored parts. I remember when we avoided Dorman. It was years back when Dorman was the only alternative (substantially cheaper than Ford). Honestly, I doubt Dorman hasn't solved the problem yet. My personal view.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
UPDATE:

All A1 Cardone units still going strong in all three bulls they were installed in WAY BACK at the beginning of my thread.

Over 100,000 miles put on 1 of them the others not far behind.

Pro Ford

221 - 234 of 234 Posts
About this Discussion
233 Replies
124 Participants
Pro Ford
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing