Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been experiencing a problem with my Yellow Airbag Light flashing when the car is started, then after 20 or so seconds it remains on until the car is turned off.

This has been happening for the past month, and it started shortly after I had my new stereo installed at the local stereo place.

I'm thinking they had something to do with the light, and was wondering if I could get any pointers (perhaps they forgot to reconnect something) before going back and raising hell about the light.

I did a quick search and found a few possible causes but nothing specific to my symptoms.

Any comments/pointers would be helpful. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If your car is a Generation 4 (after 1999 year model) its quite possible that they may have inadvertently caused some form of damage to the airbag system. It could just have been a crossed wire, but that short is enough to be throwing a trouble code (the reason why the light is flashing rapidly). Another point is that something may have gone out, such as an impact sensor, which in my opinion is odd, but not completely unheard of. However this personally isn't an issue I would tackle myself (while I'm pretty sure there are others out there that would be willing) and I would find myself taking the vehicle to a reputable mechanic with knowledge about OBDII systems and Airbag systems. It could be something as simple as a missed wire, but there is a few things that could be wrong. Maybe someone will buzz along here who can help you out more. My advice is I would try to keep from driving the vehicle. There is a fault in the airbag system. This could result in sudden, unpredictable deployment of the airbag at anytime, to not going off at all or at the wrong rate in an accident. This can result in death or serious injury. (as per your vehicle manual states.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mediarocker.

I don't have to go anywhere today, so I will probably wait around here for some more responses and end up taking it to the Stealership for a diagnosis. I have been driving it like this for nearly a month without any symptoms. I didn't realize it was this serious. Thanks again!

The car is a 2005 Taurus SE, btw.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks Mediarocker.

I don't have to go anywhere today, so I will probably wait around here for some more responses and end up taking it to the Stealership for a diagnosis. I have been driving it like this for nearly a month without any symptoms. I didn't realize it was this serious. Thanks again!

The car is a 2005 Taurus SE, btw.

Ok cool. Well its not "so" serious. I've had people drive cars like that without issue. But personally I wouldn't want to jeopardize mine and others safety. It CAN happen won't mean it will happen. But that it MIGHT happen. ;)

I hope someone with some G4 knowledge can pop in here and help you out. It could be something as simple as a sensor coming unplugged or going bad. But worst case scenario is the airbag computer needs replacement. But I'm willing to bet its something stupid.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
Count the flashes.... it is trying to tell you a 2 digit code. "Driving fine with no issues....", well, yes and no. Airbag light wont affect the way the car runs in any way, but airbag light on means entire airbag system is disabled. You wont see any "issues "until someone pulls out in front of you on the highway, you hit them at 50 mph, and the airbags dont fire.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Count the flashes.... it is trying to tell you a 2 digit code. "Driving fine with no issues....", well, yes and no. Airbag light wont affect the way the car runs in any way, but airbag light on means entire airbag system is disabled. You wont see any "issues "until someone pulls out in front of you on the highway, you hit them at 50 mph, and the airbags dont fire.

Thanks Jeff, I didnt know that it blinked in a code. The more ya know!

I agree whole heartedly. I would never drive my vehicle with the airbag system malfunctioning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeff, I didnt know that it blinked in a code. The more ya know!

I agree whole heartedly. I would never drive my vehicle with the airbag system malfunctioning.
Easier said than done.

I have a 100 mile/day round trip commute to work. However, in light of the information learned here, I will get it checked ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, to anyone more educated than myself in the automotive world (it doesn't take much), here is what I've found out so far regarding that blasted airbag light.

Jeff- you said to count the flashes of the Icon on the Dashboard. I did, and came up with a 2 digit number of 81.

The light blinked 8 times, went off, blinked once more, went off, then repeated the cycle 3 or 4 times until remaining on solid.

Drove the car over 100 miles again today with no issue (other than the annoying light).

It's strange though- sometimes when I start it, the light does not appear AT ALL.

Other times, it flashes then goes solid.

BEATS ME!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Code 81, is 41, repaired, its in a "Repaired State"
41 is impact sensor feed #1 Returning Open Circuit.
+40 = Fixed (Repaired) or intermittent.

81 Repaired or Intermittent Impact Sensor # 1 Feed
Return Open Circuit.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Code 81, is 41, repaired, its in a "Repaired State"
41 is impact sensor feed #1 Returning Open Circuit.
+40 = Fixed (Repaired) or intermittent.

81 Repaired or Intermittent Impact Sensor # 1 Feed
Return Open Circuit.

So one can assume that Impact sensor #1 is giving a intermittent single.. To say either the wiring is chafing, or the sensor is faulty?

Sounds dangerous. :mellow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts