Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....first time posting here. I am getting ready to purchase an '06 taurus and will be replacing the factory stereo with aftermarket (since the factory radio only has a cassette player). I am curious about this "infamous airbag issue."

Does replacing the factory radio actually cause the airbags to not work?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If you use a faceplate for an earlier G4 without modifying the wiring, yes.

I believe Scosche makes a faceplate with the airbag-off circuit, or you can wire one yourself (there are instructions in the electronics forum somewhere if I remember right). If you weren't set on aftermarket, you can use any '04-'07 in-dash CD ICP.

This is all contingent that you don't have automatic climate control. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am almost positive the car does not have automatic climate control (again, I haven't purchased it yet).

I already have an Alpine headunit from my old car that I would like to use. So if I buy the dash kit (Scoche, Metra, etc.) and buy the wiring harness(es), would I be okay...or is there something extra I have to do/buy to ensure the airbags still work properly?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Even if you don't get the kit with the included airbag light, there is a wiring trick you can do. I'll try to find the link in a little bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been doing a little more research on this forum and just want to clarify.....

If I replace the factory radio, will the airbags not come out if I were to get in an accident? Or does the airbag light just not work?

Sorry if I'm repeating myself...I'm pretty familiar with headunits, speakers, amps, etc. I just never worked on a Taurus before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've been doing a little more research on this forum and just want to clarify.....

If I replace the factory radio, will the airbags not come out if I were to get in an accident? Or does the airbag light just not work?
[/b]
Correct - the airbags themselves will not function without the circuitry attached to the light.

The dash kit you linked to is exactly what you'll need, or else the wiring trick 00tec-saTX or I referred to earlier...I'll look around for it too and post if I find it before he posts the link.

edit: It's pinned in this forum...here it is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts