Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have a code 51 flashing on my airbag light, been that way since I bought the car. I believe it means a thermal fuse has blown in the diagnostic monitor, I would like to confirm that, and see if anyone knows the proper replacement procedure. This is a car that I paid $500 for, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash at the dealer if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this might help but it could also mean a short. This is what the 51 is supposed to mean.
51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
I got that code in my 02 taurus when I got fed up with the seat belt chime and cut the wire to the belt sensor. I'd suggest checking the wires under the seat and other places, one of them may have got worn through. I then put a resistor on the cut ends of the wire, and it hasn't flashed a light or warning bell at me since. In other words it may be sensing a short but your fuse is fine, so if you trace down the short it might stop with the codes.

·
Administrator
15,317 Posts
Um...I will go out on a limb here and guess the OP no longer cares. This is a 2+ year old post by someone that never posted again
It's great that you want to help someone out but you're probably a touch late :rolleyes2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts