Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking the air silencer off of my 96 GL Vulcan and got as far as disconnecting the silencer part, but the part that extends through the fender well is one piece. If I disconnect this from the box it'll be sucking in hot engine air....a big no no. Can I just hack the big piece off that is on the wheel side of the fender well or rig something up like pvc and make my own CAI? Also...how in the world to you get the silencer part off without taking the whole front bumper cover off? Sorry if these questions seem stupid...but I couldn't find any info on this so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How to remove a gen III silencer cone

The only thing not covered after you do all of the stuff in the article, I think in my Taurus there was this little plastic tab holding the silencer in place from the front (near the front of the car)--I just pulled on it and it snapped (maybe not the best thing, but hey, thats what I did).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. That's what I was afraid of, having to saw. Time to buy a saw. Its gonna have to be good cause I plan to change my muffler too. Any suggestions? I don't think my set of ginsu knives are THAT good!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 94 GL Wagon and I couldn't find my silencer anywhere in my intake. Are the engine setups in wagons different than in Sedans?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...until I get a dremel I couldn't wait and decided to take my little joke seriously and take a ginsu knife to my air silencer and I did just that and it sliced right through it! The other part attached to the section you can't get to finally popped off as well. God she must have 5 more hp and definately more throttle response now. I's a happy camper!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Apr 18 2004, 06:16 PM
+5HP? I hope you're kidding. The intake silencer is really only for the sound. hence the name intake... silencer.
Are you on drugs? LOL I didn't say it was for anything else? And I think I know what a hp increase feels like.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Vulcan+Apr 18 2004, 07:04 PM-->QUOTE (Blue Vulcan @ Apr 18 2004, 07:04 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit
@Apr 18 2004, 06:16 PM
+5HP? I hope you're kidding. The intake silencer is really only for the sound. hence the name intake... silencer.
Are you on drugs? LOL I didn't say it was for anything else? And I think I know what a hp increase feels like.
[/b]
So you're... not kidding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you not have to reconnect the intake together after you hack off the silencer? And what kind of sound does it make when it is removed. I am thinking it is the same sound you get when you have the intake unlatched from the air filter. Someone enlighten me. And please excuse my blondness

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
What do you mean by putting the intake back together? From the filter box on towards the engine has to be sealed, but everything before the filter box doesn't necessarily need to be there. I personally never noticed a change in sound (my system and exhaust are too loud to notice the intake sound), but others say it is a low grumble at about 3000 RPM's. It is probably lower and more muffled than what the engine sounds like with the filter box opened.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What do you mean by putting the intake back together?[/b]

Never mind I see that when you cut the air silencer out you are basically removing everything from there down. I was thinking you were cutting out a section of pipe. But see now that when you make the cut above the resonator you are removing the entire assembly from there down. Sorry I am not too good without pictures. My blondness shows thru sometimes. But thanks for the rest of your input silva

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea what I basically did was take the rubber piece out of the driver's side wheel well via a couple screws and a plastic button and voila the resonator is right there. I took a ginsu knife to it right where the tube sticks out of the engine bay and now I only have a tube sticking out of that sucking in air. I just tore the silencer assembly out, which was easy to do because the nut to the bolt that attaches it to the car LUCKILY had worked its way off long ago.

You have to get that one off from inside the engine bay.

I didn't notice much of a sound difference and you'll feel a little difference in overall power....at least I did.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i took the corner marker off and broke the plastic around the bolt i couldnt get to. and running the engine with the hot box open is a HUGE NO NO.....VERY bad for you engine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts