Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried this?

AIRAID - The Performance Intake Company

I am hoping to get a little more power and some mpg. It looks like you get a lot of tubing and connectors so my thought was i would do the Taurus and then with the left over tubing (cause god knows there will be some) i can do a cai for my GMC Envoy 5.3 just need to order an extra filter:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Your only problem is going to be the MAF sensor, you'll need an adapter. It should work fine, though it doesn't look like they have officially released it. I would estimate they will showcase this @ S.E.M.A. this year and shortly after that they will release it. Keep in mind that this may cause issues with your MAF (P0101, P0171, P0174 Codes) if the tubing is too big or small (I.D.) so make sure you get the right size, I would measure the MAF housing I.D. and then go off of that.

Troy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
K&N only makes a drop in for our cars (Vulcan and Duratec) which SUCKS because it would make it easier to do if they made one :) This Airaid setup doesn't look too bad though.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I say get it and try it out. let us know what you think about it. and if you had enough for the trailblazers cai. the worse thing that would happen is your car doesnt like it. you can always remove it and sell it to someone whos car would like it.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
With the MAF sensors on newer Ford vehicles it is very difficult to make a system that will play nice without tuning. Almost every cold-air kit available for newer Mustangs and F-150's requires a chip now. The K&N kit for the 2010+ Taurus doesn't, but you also have the engineering resources of a very large company behind it. If you keep the tubing size around the MAF close to stock and keep it away from bends you can probably make it work, but there's no guarantees. Unfortunately the days of going to Home Depot and building your own intake are all but gone :(

If you look at the CFM requirements of the 3.5, the factory system is more than adequate except at very high RPMs. If it's not creating a restriction, you don't have a lot to gain. The lower RPMs are where you're going to gain MPG anyway. It also already draws in cold air. With CAFE standards becoming more and more strict, the manufacturers aren't leaving anything on the table when it comes to fuel economy. A cold air kit may sound better, but I would expect the real world gains to be next to nothing in regard to both HP and MPG for either the K&N or a home built kit. MPG may actually go down. I like the sound of a cold air intake though :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the MAF sensors on newer Ford vehicles it is very difficult to make a system that will play nice without tuning. Almost every cold-air kit available for newer Mustangs and F-150's requires a chip now. The K&N kit for the 2010+ Taurus doesn't, but you also have the engineering resources of a very large company behind it. If you keep the tubing size around the MAF close to stock and keep it away from bends you can probably make it work, but there's no guarantees. Unfortunately the days of going to Home Depot and building your own intake are all but gone :(

If you look at the CFM requirements of the 3.5, the factory system is more than adequate except at very high RPMs. If it's not creating a restriction, you don't have a lot to gain. The lower RPMs are where you're going to gain MPG anyway. It also already draws in cold air. With CAFE standards becoming more and more strict, the manufacturers aren't leaving anything on the table when it comes to fuel economy. A cold air kit may sound better, but I would expect the real world gains to be next to nothing in regard to both HP and MPG for either the K&N or a home built kit. MPG may actually go down. I like the sound of a cold air intake though :)

So is it money better spent to get a k&n drop in filter and get an sct tuner set up with a fuel economy tune and a cpl power tunes?

My thought was do the u build it intake and then get an sct with a tune setup with the CAI attached.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
So is it money better spent to get a k&n drop in filter and get an sct tuner set up with a fuel economy tune and a cpl power tunes?

My thought was do the u build it intake and then get an sct with a tune setup with the CAI attached.
That sounds like a pretty good idea. The SCT will give you some much needed tuning options when it comes modifying the intake. I used an SCT tuner on my wife's '08 Taurus X 3.5 and also put in a drop in K&N. I can't say fuel economy changed much if at all on the highway, but it is a bit better around town. The car is much more responsive now though. Pickup is a little better, but the shifting improvement alone is worth the price of admission.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Here's how the CAI looks on the SHO:

Not sure if they make a kit for earlier Taurus/Sable, but we have a connection at Airaid and we could contact him and I'll bet if you guys are interested they might be able to come up with something for you, Airaid has great customer service, only problem is that when they make a kit for a new vehicle I understand there is some expense and time involved in getting it CARB certified.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Just sent our guy at Airaid an e-mail telling him about this thread, so maybe he'll come by shortly with some advice or help for you guys that are looking at Airaid.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Airaid does make a performance, open element, intake.

Mark (mjhpadi) went the extra mile and purchased some sort of pre-filter screen thingy.

I also have the kit from Airaid, sans pre-filter.

.....and finally, David, over at Airaid has informed us that his company is in the "researching" mode of becoming a "supporting vendor" here.

So you may hear from him shortly as to what products may fit your applications.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I can't remember how long ago I built this one.
I got lucky and the MAF adapter was available.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
In all honesty, On vehicles being built now, you are more than likely going to screw up performance by adding a CAI.
I put an AFE on my Tundra and it probably lost a little bit of bottom end. It has too much anyway. It looks cool though.

Mike
B)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts