Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I did the searches and did not find anything related to this subject.

My situation is this. I driving down the road with the a/c on, the air is coming from the forward vents. As I accelerate the air would stop blowing from the forward vents and would start to blow from the vents at the windshield. It would not take much throttle movement for the switch to happen. Is this normal. I cannot seem to remember this happening in any other car that I have owned.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Definitely a vacuum leak. The blend door actuator uses engine vacuum to move a flap that directs air to the floor, dash, or windshield. The "default" position of the flap (when no vacuum is present) is to direct air to the windshield. That way, if the system malfunctions, you can still defog your windshield. It's a safety thing. When you accelerate, engine vacuum drops. Normally there would still be enough vacuum to keep the blend door in whatever position you want it in. But in your case, the vacuum is leaking just enough to give you problems when you accelerate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Everywhere!

P.S. What's "usafdcc"? Is it a USAF thing?

Aim High!

·
Registered
712 Posts
There should be some kind of vacuum accumulator (aka vacuum canister) somewhere. It is a tank that stores some vaccum, so that your blend door and other vac operated accessories will run when you go to WOT (almost no manifold vaccum at WOT). You will find a hose coming from the vacuum accumulator to the engine. That is the vacuum source line (where it gets the vacuum). Somewhere in that line is a check valve (one-way valve). The valve keeps you from losing your stored vacuum back to the engine when you go WOT. Find that valve. Take it out, and see that you can only blow thru it in the direction of engine-->accumulator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts