Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1394549

I have a 2004 Sable Wagon with 61k miles on it, original suspension components.
Not experiencing any suspension sag, and no other complaints.

I put on a class 2 hitch so I can pull my utility trailer occasionally.

I was thinking of putting on the Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Helper Kit to keep the rear level
when occasionally towing the utility trailer.

I was interested in any feedback from any users that have this installed on their vehicle.

1) I was wondering if I keep the bags inflated to the bare minimum PSI if the rear height of the vehicle
will stay the same or will it be raised (how much) from the stock suspension ?

2) Durability of the bags and if spring/air bag abrasion will be an issue ?

TIA

k8crd
michigan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (k8crd @ Mar 29 2010, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794190
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1394549

I have a 2004 Sable Wagon with 61k miles on it, original suspension components.
Not experiencing any suspension sag, and no other complaints.

I put on a class 2 hitch so I can pull my utility trailer occasionally.

I was thinking of putting on the Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Helper Kit to keep the rear level
when occasionally towing the utility trailer.

I was interested in any feedback from any users that have this installed on their vehicle.

1) I was wondering if I keep the bags inflated to the bare minimum PSI if the rear height of the vehicle
will stay the same or will it be raised (how much) from the stock suspension ?

2) Durability of the bags and if spring/air bag abrasion will be an issue ?

TIA

k8crd
michigan[/b]
In case any wagon owners are interested Amazon.com has this on sale for $72.54 . Air lift has
a $35 rebate for Air Lift products until 6/30/10. So I called up Amazon and talked to them about it, so they
took $35 off my credit card so the total cost comes down to $37.54.

The part number is Air Lift 60776 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit, takes about 1 hour to install. Slip
the individual air bags into each rear spring and route and hook up each individual air line and schrader valve.

I will repost after I get them installed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air Lift Pictures

QUOTE (k8crd @ Mar 29 2010, 07:40 PM)

In case any wagon owners are interested Amazon.com has this on sale for $72.54 . Air lift has
a $35 rebate for Air Lift products until 6/30/10. So I called up Amazon and talked to them about it, so they
took $35 off my credit card so the total cost comes down to $37.54.

The part number is Air Lift 60776 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit, takes about 1 hour to install. Slip the individual air bags into each rear spring and route and hook up each individual air line and schrader valve.

I will repost after I get them installed.
Well, I have put in the Air Lift kit with no problems.
I ran the air lines with schrader valves into the round storage compartment (also called a footwheel if you use the rear seat in the back). This way when I have to put air into the bags the schrader valves are free from dirt and I do not have to knee down on the ground to inflate. I ran a separate air line to each bag that way when I go around corners each bag stays inflated to what I have it set for.

The instructions say to keep a minimum of 5 psi in the air bags. The max is 25 psi. I run it at max 25 which lifts the rear up about 1/4 inch. I will say that the vehicle rides empty (no load) better with the bags with 25 psi because it dampens the rear suspension and give it a boulevard ride.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ride I have experienced so far without the trailer is excellent with the bags filled to 25 psi. The car does not suffer with SAS (sagging rear springs). I bought them mainly to keep the car level when occasionally hauling a utility trailer. Although, I have noticed the car handles the corners better allowing the car to go faster in the curves.

I called and talked to the manufacturers technical support line and they confirmed the bags were not designed to raise the rear end of the vehicle so much, but to keep the rear end level when hooking up a trailer to the vehicle or putting a load in the back of the wagon.

k8crd

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
The ride I have experienced so far without the trailer is excellent with the bags filled to 25 psi. The car does not suffer with SAS (sagging rear springs). I bought them mainly to keep the car level when occasionally hauling a utility trailer. Although, I have noticed the car handles the corners better allowing the car to go faster in the curves.

I called and talked to the manufacturers technical support line and they confirmed the bags were not designed to raise the rear end of the vehicle so much, but to keep the rear end level when hooking up a trailer to the vehicle or putting a load in the back of the wagon.

k8crd
Your experiances echo mine.
Bags have been in for aprox. 25k now and no issues. I run the 25 psi all the time as back of the wagon is always loaded w/ 100 lbs of parts and tools.
They helped level the wagon after I put the Quick struts in up front also.
With 176k on the car it was the cheap fix that worked.
I just T'ed my air lines and put the fill under the bumper by the hitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.