Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silencer removed and sealed the intake wooo ghetto riggness for the win :D

I'm also modding the filter box because there was a short circuit with the amp wire i had that ended up burning it... ill post pictures when its done

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
3 hours later :Dthe airfilter box isn't completely finished but is sealed omg it sounds so sick

ill upload a video with sound a bit later

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
eh hot air intake hmm you should make your self a cold air intake or you could just take a 00-03 intake from a scrap bull and install it in yours but nice :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
eh hot air intake hmm you should make your self a cold air intake or you could just take a 00-03 intake from a scrap bull and install it in yours but nice :D
Even if he just got some stretch tube like what spectre performance sells (or any other 3" ducting) and ran it from down in the bumper/fender area up to the filter would help with the air temp...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well what difference does this intake mod actually do? Does it allow for better breathing meaning a few more hp, or is it rather just for the sound of the engine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
would putting the filter in the engine bay like that (and maybe putting some thing to seal the hole in where the intake tube comes thru) help with fuel mileage during winter, since the engine would be pulling in warmer air and not putting in so much fuel?

I know its not good for any power gains etc...but i dont really care - i wouldnot be driving a v6 taurus if i did....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
HAI's actually decrease power and fuel efficiency. There is really no plausible excuse for them winter or summer except for intake noise.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Now wait, i removed my intake silencer but i didnt cover the hole, should i have? will i still get the nice sound from it with it covered?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If you put the saxosnorkus back on it, you should remove it. that silences it too.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Remove the part highlighted in red. You'll be fine. I ran mine like this and I used to bust deep rain puddles and drive in heavy rain.

This is the silencer to remove.

This is inside that bulbous portion right there.

Disclaimer: Don't try busting rain puddles. Driving in flooded areas is dangerous and there are techniques to follow that even when done by trained personnel is still dangerous.

If you have your wheel well shields in place you will be fine.. I can't vouch for if they are missing. If this is the case, I would leave the saxocone on it. The intake will be silenced.. but still have a bit of a roar.

·
Registered
200 Posts
would putting the filter in the engine bay like that (and maybe putting some thing to seal the hole in where the intake tube comes thru) help with fuel mileage during winter, since the engine would be pulling in warmer air and not putting in so much fuel?

I know its not good for any power gains etc...but i dont really care - i wouldnot be driving a v6 taurus if i did....
I did this on my 96 sable and my 04 sable with the duratec and it helps with fuel mileage. I have run it in both summer and winter with no horsepower issues at all. I run it with my scan gauge.

If you ever looked at cars built in the 60,70, 80's the air intakes were all inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mines a vulcan so doesn't look like what you have pictured but i get the jist of it ;) thanks man :)
I was thinking of just running some dryer vent pipe down the wheel well and putting a K&N panel filter in the stock air box :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I did this on my 96 sable and my 04 sable with the duratec and it helps with fuel mileage. I have run it in both summer and winter with no horsepower issues at all. I run it with my scan gauge.

If you ever looked at cars built in the 60,70, 80's the air intakes were all inside the engine compartment.
You want to keep your IAT down because it will lean out your fuel mixture. Carburetor equipped and Fuel Injected engines respond differently to heat.

Mines a vulcan so doesn't look like what you have pictured but i get the jist of it ;) thanks man :)
I was thinking of just running some dryer vent pipe down the wheel well and putting a K&N panel filter in the stock air box :)
My Taurus was a Vulcan too. I'm guessing yours is a G4 (2000+), Mine is a G3 (1996-1999) So they will have different airboxes. If you search you can find pictures around here. I don't have any for G4's on hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
what kind of adapters are you guys using for the maf assembly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts