Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the site and have a question

I noticed that the 2006 Ranger comes with a 3.0L Vulcan, much like mine. And i was on the K&N website and they have a intake kit/system for that model engine for the truck. would it be a good idea to throw that kit in my Taurus or no? i know you guys are all about the intake silencer and a K&N filter replacement, but i want a little style and engine sound to my car.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Is it a CAI or HAI? Does it have one or several curved pipes and connectors? If it does, I am guessing it wont fit without minor or possibly major modifications, as the engine is mounted longitudinally in the Ranger and Transverse in the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not sure if it will fit, really doubt it actually. The engine compartment is set up completely differently in the ranger.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
If that is it, there is no way it will fit in a Taurus.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
drop in a K&N panel filter and ditch the silencer, if you have one. some gen4's dont.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
drop in a K&N panel filter and ditch the silencer, if you have one. some gen4's dont.
[/b]
Agreed.

If you want to go extra, run a hose from the sawed off resonator to the front (ram air).

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The stock intake from the throttle body outwards with the silencer removed flows more air than any remotely stock Taurus needs :)

Ram air is only effective at very high speed, so my #1 consideration for running more piping would be to prevent it from sucking up water and debris.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
What is the main reason for wanting an air intake on your car? Go faster, or make more noise?

If you want to go faster, well, the stock airbox is the least of your worries. It isn't restrictive.

If you only want an intake for noise, then get a short-ram setup and enjoy the howling. You can also enjoy the sluggish takeoffs and reduced performance. vrooooom!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
HERE is the short write up i did on extending the CAI to the front bumper.

i dont think i gained or lost anything...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
How would i go about a ram air set up then?
[/b]
Get an cone filter and adapter and stick it onto the MAF. You can also get a very short pipe to in between the adapter and MAF.

Is it a CAI or HAI? Does it have one or several curved pipes and connectors? If it does, I am guessing it wont fit without minor or possibly major modifications, as the engine is mounted longitudinally in the Ranger and Transverse in the Taurus.
[/b]
It's a CAI.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
How would i go about a ram air set up then?
[/b]
Get an cone filter and adapter and stick it onto the MAF. You can also get a very short pipe to in between the adapter and MAF.
[/b][/quote]
That would be a short ram intake...aka hot air intake.

Ram air induction uses vehicle speed to increase pressure in the intake. You're never going to get going fast enough to see any real gains out of it...stick with cold air. The stock airbox is really not a restriction. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
AFAIK, the only way to build up any pressure in ANY ram air system requires speeds of over 200 mph. Anyone who has a car with a "Ram-Air" decal on it and expects it to impress anyone is a wanker in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I can tell you for sure it won't fit, my cousin has the 4.0 liter version ranger. So we've extensively studied the 4 banger, 3 liter, and 4 liter models, the intake won't fit in my car, and its an 02. BTW I agree with ram air being retarded, I always see these Grand ams that say ram air on the side and its like big deal i get better gas mileage than you because i have less air drag. Well not really but definitely pointless in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
not to mention that ram air with out extensive head modification wont do you any good even at 200 mph

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really just want t get the most sound out of my car, plus its not like the tires chirp when i floor it anyways

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I'm really just want t get the most sound out of my car, plus its not like the tires chirp when i floor it anyways
[/b]
well with the set up i have it sounds like a little mini jet warming up for take off. lol

[attachmentid=23132]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
well with the set up i have it sounds like a little mini jet warming up for take off. lol
[/b]
So does mine.

At least ram air isn't as bad as an electric super charger in some GTP's...

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
So does mine.

At least ram air isn't as bad as an electric super charger in some GTP's... [/b][/quote]

WTF are you talking about?

GTP uses a M90

1 - 20 of 30 Posts