Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm out of the game while I'm recovering from surgery, but it's given me a lot of time to ponder my car, and the "business" I paid to tune it.

Looking at the dyno sheet on Tom Morana's website for the 1.8 roller rockers ( http://www.moranav6racing.com/downloads/Copy of 1.8 Roller Rocker DYNO SHEET 2.jpg ) that vulcan is making 3 less hp than me, with 30 less ft-lbs, at 13.5:1 A/F (No RPM measure that I can see). The engine was otherwise stock. (Mine isn't).

Now, I know different engines make different numbers. The 3.8 made ~145 hp with ~220 ft-lbs, IIRC. But the same engine with similar horsepower & vastly different torque? I'm wondering if the A/F is playing a part. I seem to recall my tuner saying he put it at a safe 12:1. Reading up on some posts here, it seems our stock, factory setting is 12.5:1 at WOT. Seriously, he made it richer than stock?

So first, I think I'll hand it back over to my factory program and see if I get more WOT power. Second, I ask my Taurii owning brethren with the lack of sense to tinker with their vulcans; what would be a good A/F starting point when I take my car to a DIFFERENT tuner next?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Well, if you are running a tuner that alters the ratio, I would get a A/F ratio meter. You don't have to get a more expensive wideband unit, though those are better. But that way you can see what your car is doing, and make the needed adjustments accordingly.

It sounds to me like it is not tuned correctly. A little less fuel should produce more power. A good setting should be around 13:1 at WOT and around 14.5 under light conditions. That figure might need to be adjusted depending on you other mods. For a boosted or higher compression engine, its better to err on the rich side that to damage the engine, but if you got an A/F ratio gauge, you could keep tabs on that. You never want a performance engine to run lean under load and start knocking or pinging. If you use the correct octane for your engine and tune, you can run a mixture closer to stoichiometric a greater part of the time.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Definitely get a WBO2 sensor.

12.5-13.0 is good at WOT for a NA motor.

Timing is where the ponies are usually.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decked heads 0.030" and polished combustion chambers so I can crank the timing. Tuner set me at 12:1 A/F ratio and wouldn't put me past 23 degrees base or global or whatever it is. I think I need a new tuner.

And thanks, Paul. Next time I put it on the dyno, if the tuner won't put me at 12.5 or higher, I'll raise hell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts