Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was thinking of trying to squeeze a few more out of the good ole Vulcan engine by putting on an aftermarket air filter and such. I was looking on ebay and they had a bolt on type that looked pretty cool and promised 20 more horses but it was for the duratec engine and obviously that is not my case. So I was wondering if anyone knew what a reasonably priced but very good air filter would be for the vulcan. Thanks alot.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
K&N airfilter, i believe they are a little over $40, worth it though.

Fram Airhogs, not sure on price and i dont knwo anything about them either, i just seen one the for the first time the other day but i believe its about the same thing as K&N just made by fram

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Oct 4 2004, 06:21 AM
I don't believe that any air filter will give you +20HP though.
I don't either, unless you're replacing one that is 50% blocked! :blink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I, also don't believe any air filter adds 20 hp either. Read a study once that showed that the driver THOUGHT their car had more horsepower mostly because the car made more noise with many aftermarket airfilters setups.

ZOOOOOOM, ZOOOOM

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Maybe if you installed one of them Tornado thingies at the same time.......JK.......

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did it to my 95, along with removing the intake silencer and running aluminum dryer duct to the fender well. I used a K&N drop-in filter, and I also sort of "gutted" the airbox by removing silencing parts. I think it was worth the 40 bucks. It's already been a few years, and I've serviced it appropriately, and I'm still pleased.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If the one on ebay is chrome and has a red filter it says it will fit a duratec.

It will not it fits the Vulcan.

Post the link you saw and I can tell you if it the one I bought.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634 that is the addy. It does match that description though. That is the one I was thinking of buying though. I was mistaken it doesn't say anything about adding 20 horses that is a sensor chip or what not that I also found but I am not going to buy. I think this intake looks decent though and probably not too hard to install. What do you think of it? Does it perform pretty well?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
That is the one I bought. It DID NOT fit my duratec. I made a cai for my daughter's 99 Flex Fuel with it.
btw It is kind of a cheap looking unit. It does work though

The buy it now price is $9.50 and shipping is $12.00

The filter is worth that much.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
That is the one I bought. It DID NOT fit my duratec. I made a cai for my daughter's 99 Flex Fuel with it.
btw It is kind of a cheap looking unit. It does work though

Mike
B)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well what would be a decent one that would work if this one is relatively cheap. I don't want to put something ****** on it.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
When I said cheap I meant that it has several holes and slots for mounting. It kind of looks like a universal adapter. It is chrome and it is covered up. I was comparing it to the Draxas unit I got for my duratec.

If you need it buy it.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently yes. Thats the same engine I got. I just have the Ford and you have the Mercury. It's the same car for the most part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts