Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I ran into a problem today and it has to do with overheating. I have never seen the heat guage get as high as it did today, causing the check engine light to come on. Normally, for those of you familiar with this gauge in a 94 SHO, it sits around "A" in NORMAL, but today it got all the way up beyond the "N," which is the hottest. I havent had a chance to look at the coolant in the radiator, but the overflow, although drained, was not empty. I had to ride home (90+ degrees outside) with the heat turned all the way up to 90 and blowing full blast to try to help.

All that background for my real question. I noticed that when the guage gets up around the "O" in normal, the air conditioning gets warm. Is this a mechanism to help the engine cool down?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
341 Posts
usually when the car overheats (low on coolant) the air will get warm.

someone else could probably shine more light on that, but i know i had a honda accord that ran low on fluid and the a/c got really warm. if overheating, check the usual first: coolant level, thermostat, leaks in radiator or hoses...stuff like that.

but warm a/c is normal for an overheating engine. well, it's not normal...but, you know what i mean.

good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
last time when i did that i was my rad who was plugged and the pump was not working properly so i changed the rad the pump and the thermostat

but the first thing to check out is if the coolant is still good with the ph and the coolant level too at minimum it must be 50 / 50 but if the ph is bad than the coolant as gone bad even do it as a 50 50

first thing first change coolant get the better brand like the one written long life on it and change your termosthat for some reason when the coolant get bad it boil and then the termosthat is not good or is gonna fail real real soon

what the color of it

anyway flush your coolant system and check for leak flush it with some stuff to clean up the mess and then fill it with water and let it run some more and then reflush it and refill it with 60 40 mix oh and do not forget to clean up your reserve cuz if there dirt in there is gonna go back in

and sorry i know im not that good for some pointer but im tring to do my best to explain :blink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I checked the coolant level and it is green and nice and full. I also checked the oil because that light was coming on too. I guess my next step is to flush the radiator and check the thermostat. Thanks all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the thermostat, a $7 thermostat!!!

I tell you, this was a journey. This is the first time I (my family) has ever had a problem with this car (clutch was replaced right after my parents bought it in 1996 because of a rude 1st owner).

I got in there and pulled everything off and was having a horrible time getting the bell-housing off the engine block to reveal the thermostat. I tried for over an hour! It was a hose clip that the lip of the housing was getting caught on. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Since I had never seen the thermostat before, I didnt know what the gasket looked like and went to Pep Boys to purchase one. When I get everything apart, I find out that the person had given me the wrong one (probably for a non-SHO of that year). He had given me a paper gasket and the one I should have gotten was a rubber gasket that fit around the outside of the thermostat to create the seal. Thankfully, the gasket was in great shape and still usable.

No problems now! What a scare! I didnt want to have to put a lot of $$ into a 10 year old car, even though this SHO only has about 115K on it!

I need to post pictures. Maybe after I get a car wash :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts