Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Advance Auto Parts last night and saw this: http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.as...artnumber=QC1CS

Has anybody ever used anything like this themselves? My 01 SES feels like it might need topped off (it gets very cold, but it takes a little time. I didn't think anything of it until I drove the 2003 loaner we had and noticed that 03 got cold QUICK) and thought something like it shown in the link above might do the trick. Is it difficult to use? Are they reliable? Will it hurt the car?

I know this probably is a stupid number of questions, but I'm knew to it and with me just getting the car, I don't wanna screw anything up in it.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Assuming your warranty is expired...

Although I've charged many dead R-12 systems with R-134a and also topped off R-134a systems, I think that if it where my car i'd almost be tempted to take it in for service, but thinking of the price makes me think otherwise.

Those DIY ac recharge systems work fine, and that's all I use, but there's no way to tell how much refrigerant is in the system without emptying it, applying vacuum and adding a measured ammount, and don't rely on the guage, you can't tell how much refrigerant is in the system by the low side port, no matter what the guage or manufacturer says.

If it where my money I'd look for a different tool to fill the system, I got an all metal one for $11 from my local auto parts store, i would not trust a plastic tool. They are very easy to use, screw the charge can on. Pop the connector onto the low side port and on my tool you screw in a tap and it punctures the charge can, and when you back out the tap, the refrigerant flows into the system. very easy. i'd only add about 1/2 a 12 oz can to your system. Don't add any leak stopper.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooooooh that's right... I got an extended warranty on it. I'll have to see if it'll cover an AC charge.

·
Registered
411 Posts
First off, if it needs R-134a, then you have a leak. Second, that should be covered under warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts