Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 92 taurus 3litre V6 and it runs great, it's not that bad on gas and it still has a LOT of power for an older car, but the heating/cooling systems are starting to give me some headaches.

So right now the problem is with the heating system. When I turn the heat on in the "vent" position it works like it should and pumps out an assload of heat, BUT when I put the heat in either the "floor"/"mix"/"dash" heat positions it still works, but the air conditioner tries to keep turning on.

What I mean by that is the disk that engages to run the ac motor clicks on then off repeatedly, but only when the heat is in the floor/mix/dash position. So of course this causes the engine to be overworked and a TON of gas to be eaten up so I keep the heat in the vent position when heat is needed.

Anyone here know why the ac would keep trying to click on when the heat is in those 3 positions and NOT when it's in the vent position?

This is really weird and just started up on me a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any input on this.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The A/C compressor is supposed to engage when the heat is on, it's a means of maintaining the temperature and not allowing the full amount of heat radiating from the heater core to melt your face off.

This is why I still do A/C compressor replacement jobs in the dead of winter. Though a constant cycling on and off within a few second period may be an indication of low refrigerant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The A/C compressor is supposed to engage when the heat is on, it's a means of maintaining the temperature and not allowing the full amount of heat radiating from the heater core to melt your face off.

This is why I still do A/C compressor replacement jobs in the dead of winter. Though a constant cycling on and off within a few second period may be an indication of low refrigerant.
From what I know the disk that engages when the ac is turned on to drive the motor should NOT engage unless told to? Not sure though.

If what you say is true how come the ac motor does not try to engage when the heat is in the vent(blowing at your chest/face) position, BUT keeps clicking on and off when the heat is in the floor/mix/dashboard positions?

Is there a plug on the ac motor i can pull so it wont be able to turn on?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The A/C runs in any position that blows air to the windshield(defrost/mix) to keep the warm humid air from condensing on the windshield - not sure why it would run when floor only is selected.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I had a '93 Taurus GL, the compressor never came on when I had the heat on, only a/c and defrostor would run the compressor, same with my '07 Taurus. Do you have the electronic climate control? If not, I would suspect something is wrong with the function switch. For the time being, you can pull the fuse that controls the a/c clutch, that should stop the compressor from engaging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a '93 Taurus GL, the compressor never came on when I had the heat on, only a/c and defrostor would run the compressor, same with my '07 Taurus. Do you have the electronic climate control? If not, I would suspect something is wrong with the function switch. For the time being, you can pull the fuse that controls the a/c clutch, that should stop the compressor from engaging.

The a/c clutch...that's what it called...lol

Thanks austex04:)

Umm nope no electric climate controll, just the regular dials. My taurus is the "L" series BTW.

Any idea which fuse is for the ac clutch? I don't have the owners manual for my car so no fuse box diagram.

So pulling the fuse for the ac clutch should'nt create any problems for me?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
The A/C runs in any position that blows air to the windshield(defrost/mix) to keep the warm humid air from condensing on the windshield - not sure why it would run when floor only is selected.
A/C does not engage in the vent, floor or off positions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Your A/C fuse might be located in the engine compartment fuse box on the right near the radiator it has an A/c fuse at least my '02 does. try removing it and see if that does the trick? Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I pulled the ac fuse(Slot 17)and the problem is gone. The ac clutch does NOT keep clicking on and off now so im happy:)

Pulling that fuse shouldn't create any problems right? Like I should be fine to use the windshield and mix settings now with no problems?

I look forward to reading your answers ;)

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
On one of my 98 tecs with compressor issues, the power dist. box underhood contains an ac clutch relay, red 10 amp fuse, and a blk. diode. I have temporarily pulled all 3 with no issues until i find repair time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I would think that by removing that fuse, all you actually did was disconnect power to the A/C clutch which is the same as not having it on in the first place. So there shouldn't be any problems with any other accessories.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well I would think that by removing that fuse, all you actually did was disconnect power to the A/C clutch which is the same as not having it on in the first place. So there shouldn't be any problems with any other accessories.
You may want to keep that fuse handy in the car, in case you drive into fog, sleet, or snow, the a/c compressor is good to have on when it's above freezing to help defogg the windows, as it removes moisture from the air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well aside from less heat being produced all is fine. Windows were all fogged up this morning and cleared up rather quickly.

Whats really weird is i only have maybe 1/3 the heat(as in temperature not air power)being produced. Before I pulled that fuse when the car was heated up nice it would blow such hot air that you couldn't even keep your hand on the vents for more then 10-15 seconds before your skin would start to peel off lol.

Maybe the engine was being over worked because of the ac?

Any who thanks all:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts