Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Air Bag Yellow Light Blinking 5-1---5-1---, etc.

New to this forum. New to 1995 Taurus. I have owned (3) older Taurii.

Just bought a 1995 Taurus GL this week. This is to replace my 1987 Taurus Wagon I've been driving for (18) years (255K miles).

I bought it from a dealer's back lot wholesale cars. It has 116k miles on it.

The yellow airbag light blinks 5, pause 5, long pause, 5, pause, 5, etc. over and over and never stops or reaches a steady state. When the key is removed, an alarm buzzer/beeper goes off (located somewhere around the glove box) and beep-beeps intermitently the whole time the key is out. It does not beep when the key is in, but the air bag light flashes.

Edit: The code is "51", not "55".
I've tried removing the battery post for an hour to clear codes, but same thing happens again.

I have read thru several postings on the air bag light in this forum but didn't see where I can find what "5-5" means.

Anyone have some suggestions on this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I cant seem to find anything to do with a code "55" or even a code "5" on the lists. Are you SURE its flashing 5-5 ?? Turn the car on again and WATCH the air bag light. You may be missing another number or counting wrong, its easy to do when this happens. Mine was a code 4-2, and when I first saw it, I thought it was code "24", good thing I looked again.
GOOD LUCK in finding the issue & please report back with the code info if it is a 5-5 and you get it fixed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You are correct. I wasn't watching closely enough.

It's flashing "5-1" or "51" code:

51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

Okay, what does this mean? Is the internal fuse replaceable?

(Duh, it is the beeper that beeps "5" over and over when the key is out)

BTW, dlc360, your avatar photo looks a lot like "Ghoulardi", from NE Ohio, in days of olde. LOL.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is a thread from SHO forum about the 51 code...I briefly read over it, and it sounds like it could help you out.

Airbag electronics - need module for 95 SHO - SHOForum

From what I can gather, there is a thermal fuse that burns out, on an electrical board in the diagnostic monitor module, when there is a short to the ground in the airbag system. You'll have to replaced the fuse, which requires soldering a new one in, or get a new board out of a donor car....and you'll have to figure out where the problem is that triggered the fuse to blow as well....I hope that thread can help you out...like I said, I briefly read through it.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
You are correct. I wasn't watching closely enough.

It's flashing "5-1" or "51" code:

51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

Okay, what does this mean? Is the internal fuse replaceable?

(Duh, it is the beeper that beeps "5" over and over when the key is out)

BTW, dlc360, your avatar photo looks a lot like "Ghoulardi", from NE Ohio, in days of olde. LOL.

2 points for you on the avitar. It is Ghoulardi, I had to put that up here since I live in AMRAP. You are one of the select few that know who he is.

I know this isnt the correct way to figure out a problem, but what you may want to try is just replace the board or thermo fuse first. I have found out that SOMETIMES due to age and use alone thermofuses can fault out without any other issues. This isnt always the case, but does happen sometimes. I still have actual fuses in my house, and in the 12 years I have lived here I have had fuses just "blow" for no visable reason, nothing lasts forever when electricity & heat is involved.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dlc360,
"Ghoulardi": E.A's son went to the same school I did, until he left.

You may be right about that fuse. I hope that's all it is. I'm going to solder in a new one if it's burned out.

That is one nice looking Wagon you have. My first choice, while looking for another Taurus, has always been the Wagon. But they are just not up for sale around here in S.C..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Making a few quick calls, I found out the local Ford dealership no longer has diagnositic equipment for the 1995 Taurus air bag systems. They referred me to an independent shop who said the parts are no longer available and they don't work on them. I asked the Ford dealer what it would cost to completely disarm the system and get rid of the beepers and flashing light. They said that would be "against the law". To remove an option is against the law?

Okay. I don't know if air bags were an option or Federally mandated. I think this year (1995) it was optional.

Assuming it is against the law, it's a bad law. Here I'm now stuck with an older Taurus with relatively low miles, and a law, and no parts or service to fix it. This is not a well thought out plan. "Between a rock and a hard place".

Since I have driven old Taurii with no air bags for a couple of decades, and I'm still here, is there a way to remove the air bag system bells and whistles without interfering with any other systems on the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
LOL, It's against the law but it's no longer servicable by the dealer ? sounds like a load of crap to me. If your looking to disable everything I would just pull the Airbag light and Take out the Airbag control module. Disconnect the battery first. Leaving the airbags in the car not hooked up to anything should be ok just as long as the module is removed.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disconnected the white and black multi-pin connectors from the blue air bag module tonight. The incessant (5) beeping stopped, and the yellow air bag light stays on all the time the key is on. No more "51" code flash.

Drove the car tonight and everything else seemed normal. The bags did not blow up.

I was at a junk yard today and spotted a Ford product with deployed air bag. The air bag had broken the windshield on the passenger side. I wonder if these deadly wonders get glass fragments in the passenger's eyes when it smashes the windshield?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The Gen 3 Tauruses and Sables will break the windshield whenever the passenger airbag deploys.

Maybe some primo grade electrical tape can go over the airbag light?

FYI a Tachometer cluster is plug and play in your Gen 2, such as one from a 1992-1995 Sable or 1992-1995 Taurus LX.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You think the Taurus is bad, the Focus does a number on the windshield as well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
00greenlx: "You think the Taurus is bad, the Focus does a number on the windshield as well."

I had a 1 1/2" rock hit the windshield of my MT-5. The rock had fallen off the top of a gravel truck coming at me, opposite lane, at 60 mph or so. I was doing about 50 mph.

The rock caused slivers of glass to spray over my face and clothes. A pair of sunglasses probably saved me from injury to the eyes. The damage to the windshield was not as bad as what I saw in the junk yard done by the airbag. The air bag destroyed most of that car's windshield on the passenger side.

(I don't need no stenkin' air bags...)

Bull Geek: Thanks for the tip on the tach installation. I plan on pulling the trim off the instrument panel soon and unplugging the air bag yellow light and see what happens.

The man at the junk yard showed me how to get to the instruments on the '95. He had a '94/'95 wreck with good looking insturments and tach. He'd probably let it go for $10. I bought some trim parts, remote radio control and a clock for $13. He took the parts off for me. Not too bad.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wow that is cheaper than the self service yards around here. Nice pricing!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Thats cool that you knew of E.A. and his family. He was quite the personality here in the Cleveland area.

As far as the dealer telling you its against the law and stuff..... Well, legaly it is against the law for THEM to un hook and dis-arm the system. Its perfectly OK for you to do it as long as its not needed for any kind of vehicle inspections.

Here in Ohio, we have emission testing every 2 years. My wifes beater jeep bearly passed with a blown out muffler & converter. I got the passing cert, went home and cut off they complete exhaust system and installed a cherry bomb & a 90 deg turn out to the side of the jeep. I'll run this "*******" exhaust for 2 years and just before I need to test again, i'll put in a full system at that time.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Disconnected the white and black multi-pin connectors from the blue air bag module tonight. The incessant (5) beeping stopped, and the yellow air bag light stays on all the time the key is on. No more "51" code flash.

Drove the car tonight and everything else seemed normal. The bags did not blow up.

I was at a junk yard today and spotted a Ford product with deployed air bag. The air bag had broken the windshield on the passenger side. I wonder if these deadly wonders get glass fragments in the passenger's eyes when it smashes the windshield?
Maybe (glass probably blows outwards), but they are documented as having killed small women and children when they go off.
If you do totally disable it, remove the airbags carefully in one piece. They fetch high dollars in the used parts marketplace (ANY airbag).

edit: Not sure what year airbags became a Federal mandate, but here in NY you can't get/pass an inspection if the light is on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts