Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Code 3 2 on the Air Bag System. 32=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open. The manual does not tell me how to check nor does it have a wiring schematic.

Does anyone have a recommendation for checking. I have the air bag out and the steering wheel off.

Is the open normally in the ribbon cable or some where else.

Help Please !! :(

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
it is most likley a bad clock spring...you will need to remove the air bag, and you will see the clock spring underneath. this is the first thing to fail. Do not check nay leads as you could set off the air bag.

Id just replace the clock spring. If that does nto fix it....then take it to a dealer.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
ive searched and have yet to find a removal procedure or picture of it. They also refer to the clock spring as a "Sliding contact" but most know it as a clock spring.

I know its easy to remove because they sell cruise control kits that include the new clock spring and its a do it yourself thing.

Brad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. Ordered one this afternoon. Simple process and definitely more economical than taking to dealer first. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
How do you reset the airbag system? My brothers Taurus has the airbag light blinking code 16 I believe, but its very sporatic(sp?) about showing up. It'll be there for a couple days and then not appear for a week. <_<

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:banana: I received the new clockspring for the car however, I have a few questions that maybe someone can help with.

When I opened the box, there is a grey piece that appears to be there solely for the purpose of keeping the part together. Am I correct? :(

The part also mentions centering but not to clear about what it means or how to do it. Old I guess. Is it safe to assume that the part as provided with temporary retainer is centered? If not can someone explain how to center? :unsure:

Another assumption. There are plugs/caps over a couple of the holes on the mounting plate. Do I simply knock out the plugs where needed for the mounting screws? ;)

Final question: Although I didn't notice it before, the wire that goes to the ignition switch is part of the clockspring assembly. Do I need to temporarily removedthe schroud i.e. ignition switch to install the wire? :unsure:

Thanks in advance. :D

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you will need to remove the bottom half of the shroud.

you need to place the steering wheel in the center position in your car, assuming that the clock spring is already centered.

when you install it, turn the wheel all the way to the right and left, if you find that it is binding in any way, stop, and re center it.

To install it you will need....

steering wheel puller (rent for free from auto zone)
8mm socket
small flat head screw driver
Torx bit, prob about a T50

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! LET SIT FOR AT LEAST 5 MINUTES!
The air bag system has a 2 minute back up. This is the reason.

Remove the underside of the coulmn by removing the 2-3 phillips head screws.

remove the air bag by removing the two caps (one on each side of the steering wheel)

Remove the 8mm nut behind each cap.

Pull the air bag out and unplug.

Unscrew the torx screw directly in the center of the steering wheel with the torx bit.

Use steering wheel puller and remove the steering wheel.

Unclip and unscrew the clock spring.

Install is the reverse of removal.

Brad

Remove the

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
heres the ford way of doing it...i dont beleve you need to do all this but there it is.

Sliding Contact, Air Bag

Removal

WARNING:
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN REPAIRING AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) VEHICLE AND WHEN HANDLING AN AIR BAG MODULE. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
CARRY A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE WITH THE AIR BAG AND TRIM COVER POINTED AWAY FROM YOUR BODY. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
DO NOT SET A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE DOWN WITH THE TRIM COVER FACE DOWN. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
AFTER DEPLOYMENT, THE AIR BAG SURFACE CAN CONTAIN DEPOSITS OF SODIUM HYDROXIDE, A PRODUCT OF THE GAS GENERANT COMBUSTION THAT IS IRRITATING TO THE SKIN. WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTERWARDS.

WARNING:
NEVER PROBE THE CONNECTORS ON THE AIR BAG MODULE. DOING SO CAN RESULT IN AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT, WHICH CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

WARNING:
AIR BAG MODULES WITH DISCOLORED OR DAMAGED TRIM COVERS MUST BE REPLACED, NOT REPAINTED.

WARNING:
VEHICLE SENSOR ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR PROPER SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) IS INVOLVED IN A COLLISION, INSPECT THE SENSOR MOUNTING BRACKET AND WIRING PIGTAIL FOR DEFORMATION. REPLACE AND PROPERLY POSITION THE SENSOR OR ANY OTHER DAMAGED SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) COMPONENTS WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAG IS DEPLOYED.

WARNING:
TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE REPAIRING OR REPLACING ANY FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) COMPONENTS AND BEFORE SERVICING, REPLACING, ADJUSTING OR STRIKING COMPONENTS NEAR THE FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS, SUCH AS DOORS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, CONSOLE, DOOR LATCHES, STRIKERS, SEATS AND HOOD LATCHES.

PLEASE REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE SHOP MANUAL TO DETERMINE LOCATION OF THE FRONT AIR BAG SENSORS.

THE SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS ARE LOCATED AT OR NEAR THE BASE OF THE B-PILLAR.

TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND WAIT AT LEAST ONE MINUTE. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT AUXILIARY BATTERIES AND POWER SUPPLIES (IF EQUIPPED).

1. Make sure front wheels are in the straight-ahead position and steering column shaft alignment mark is at the 12 o'clock position.

2. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute. For additional information, refer to «Section 14-01».

3. Remove steering wheel (3600) as described.

4. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder (11582) as described.

5. Remove instrument panel steering column cover (04459), upper steering column shroud (3530) and lower steering column shroud.

6. Disconnect air bag sliding contact assembly harness connector.

7. Apply two strips of adhesive tape across air bag sliding contact assembly stator and rotor to prevent rotation.

8. Remove air bag sliding contact retaining screws and air bag sliding contact (14A664).

Installation

WARNING:
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN REPAIRING AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) VEHICLE AND WHEN HANDLING AN AIR BAG MODULE. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
CARRY A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE WITH THE AIR BAG AND TRIM COVER POINTED AWAY FROM YOUR BODY. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
DO NOT SET A LIVE AIR BAG MODULE DOWN WITH THE TRIM COVER FACE DOWN. THIS WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

WARNING:
AFTER DEPLOYMENT, THE AIR BAG SURFACE CAN CONTAIN DEPOSITS OF SODIUM HYDROXIDE, A PRODUCT OF THE GAS GENERANT COMBUSTION THAT IS IRRITATING TO THE SKIN. WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTERWARDS.

WARNING:
NEVER PROBE THE CONNECTORS ON THE AIR BAG MODULE. DOING SO CAN RESULT IN AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT, WHICH CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

WARNING:
AIR BAG MODULES WITH DISCOLORED OR DAMAGED TRIM COVERS MUST BE REPLACED, NOT REPAINTED.

WARNING:
VEHICLE SENSOR ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR PROPER SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) IS INVOLVED IN A COLLISION, INSPECT THE SENSOR MOUNTING BRACKET AND WIRING PIGTAIL FOR DEFORMATION. REPLACE AND PROPERLY POSITION THE SENSOR OR ANY OTHER DAMAGED SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) COMPONENTS WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAG IS DEPLOYED.

WARNING:
TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE REPAIRING OR REPLACING ANY FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) COMPONENTS AND BEFORE SERVICING, REPLACING, ADJUSTING OR STRIKING COMPONENTS NEAR THE FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS, SUCH AS DOORS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, CONSOLE, DOOR LATCHES, STRIKERS, SEATS AND HOOD LATCHES.

PLEASE REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE SHOP MANUAL TO DETERMINE LOCATION OF THE FRONT AIR BAG SENSORS.

THE SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS ARE LOCATED AT OR NEAR THE BASE OF THE B-PILLAR.

TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND WAIT AT LEAST ONE MINUTE. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT AUXILIARY BATTERIES AND POWER SUPPLIES (IF EQUIPPED).

1. Make sure front wheels are in the straight-ahead position and steering column shaft alignment mark is at the 12 o'clock position.

2. Note: Refer to Adjustments, Sliding Contact, Air Bag.

Install air bag sliding contact to steering column lock cylinder housing (3511) with three retaining screws and tighten to 2-3 Nm (18-26 lb-in).

3. Route air bag sliding contact assembly wiring down column assembly and connect harness connector. Remove adhesive tape strips.

4. If installing a new air bag sliding contact, remove locking mechanism.

5. Install upper steering column shroud, lower steering column shroud and lower instrument panel steering column cover.

6. Install ignition switch lock cylinder as described.

7. Install steering wheel as described.

8. Connect battery ground cable. Refer to «Section 14-01».

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Heres how to remove the lock cylender:

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

Lock Cylinder Functional

Removal

1. Note: The following procedure applies to vehicles that have functional ignition switch lock cylinders (11582), and the lock cylinder keys are available for these vehicles or the lock cylinder key numbers are known and the proper key can be made.

Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to «Section 14-01».

2. Turn ignition switch lock cylinder to RUN position.

3. Place a 3.17 mm (1/8-inch) diameter wire pin or small drift punch in hole in lower steering column shroud (3530) under ignition switch (11572). Press retaining pin while pulling out on ignition switch lock cylinder to remove it from steering column lock cylinder housing (3511).

Installation

1. Install ignition switch lock cylinder by turning it to RUN position. Insert ignition switch lock cylinder into steering column lock cylinder housing. Make sure ignition switch lock cylinder is fully seated and aligned in interlocking washer before turning ignition switch lock cylinder to OFF position. This will permit cylinder retaining pin to extend into steering column tube flange hole.

2. Rotate ignition switch lock cylinder, using lock cylinder key, to make sure switch works in all positions.

3. Connect battery ground cable. Refer to «Section 14-01».

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. STILL not clear on centering Clockspring Assembly. Is my assumption correct that when received new from dealer, that the Assembly is already centered? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes...it *should* be centered from the factory. Only after you mount this spring should the retaining bolt be removed from the spring assy

Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts