Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

We have two Taurus's, an '05 and an '06. So far the '06 is fine but the '05 has developed two problems. The first is a blinking and sometimes constant air bag warning light which has been going on for about two weeks now. This weekend we went to a neighboring town and I found out the cruise is not engaging. I don't know for sure if the cruise control problem is connected to the air bag light problem or even if they occurred at the same time as this past weekend is the first time I have used the cruise control in several weeks.

I have just acquired the Ford electrical and wiring diagrams manual but I have not yet had time to look at it. Based on past experience I tend to think the problem might have something to do with loose or faulty connectors. Possibly something in or around the steering column or possibly the wiper contacts under the steering wheel. Before I tear into this thing I thought it would be a good idea to ask around here on the forum to see if anyone else has encountered similay problems or has found and fixed the problems. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Cruise control wise it will be 1 of 3 things, servo, cruise control switches or your clock spring. If you have the ford workshop manuals just use them and a DMM to test what it tells you. Servo is near the SJB under the dash. clock spring and the switch are behind the airbag. The airbag is held on with just 2 8m bolts. take them out and the airbag will just lift out. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY before u go trying to take out the airbag.... You'll narrow it down to which of the 3 you need, its pretty straight forward.

Airbag wise either one of the connectors are probably loose. either under one of the seats (if the have the pressure plates, which I'm sure they do.) Or in the steering wheel behind the airbag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cruise control wise it will be 1 of 3 things, servo, cruise control switches or your clock spring. If you have the ford workshop manuals just use them and a DMM to test what it tells you. Servo is near the SJB under the dash. clock spring and the switch are behind the airbag. The airbag is held on with just 2 8m bolts. take them out and the airbag will just lift out. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY before u go trying to take out the airbag.... You'll narrow it down to which of the 3 you need, its pretty straight forward.

I only have the manual with the electrical diagrams so I think maybe I'll go back to ebay and see if I can get those other shop manuals. I might as well get them because I plan on driving these two cars until there is nothing left of them.

Pardon my ignorance but what is an "SJB" ? "DMM" I get as I am deep into electronics and electrical controls.

Airbag wise either one of the connectors are probably loose. either under one of the seats (if the have the pressure plates, which I'm sure they do.) Or in the steering wheel behind the airbag.
You might be onto something there because the car has a power drivers seat which my wife loves to run clear up when she drives it and way back every time she gets out of the car. I would think all that extra use might loosen up something.

BTW, do you happen to knw the speciffic title or some kind of numeric nomenclature for the other shop manuals listed above?

Thanks for responding, I'm sure it will help.

Later Man...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
^^^^^ Yup, the eletronic CC servo is under the hood at driver strut tower.

Since both CC and airbag circuits go thru the clockspring, I am guessing the problem is clockspring related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts