Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting a set of fog and driving lights on my car. All I have to do is aim them. Where should the fogs be aimed and where should the driving lights be aimed? TIA

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Fog lights should be aimed low so they don't annoy oncoming drivers especially when it's not foggy.

Driving lights should be aimed so they light up the road well for about 1/2 mile, but not not high enough to bother low-flying aircraft. Should not be turned on unless absolutely needed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 13 2004, 04:57 PM
First of all.. Where did you mount them? In the ovals at the bottom of the bumper or in the grille?
I mounted them pretty much where you have yours: in the bumper, under the parking lights.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I aimed my fogs to fill in between the bumper and the bottom of the regular light beams.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've got them where I want them. I'm pretty sure the fogs are where they're supposed to be, but the drivings are about the same level as the fogs :unsure: I guess I can't do much about it since their both in the same housing, but that's fine. I took the car for a test drive with them on, and in town under the street lights I didn't notice much of a difference, but when I went out of town, it was so much clearer. There's a lot more light right in front of and to the sides of the car. The only thing that bugs me is that I can really notice the yellow from my headlights against the white from the fogs and drivings. I guess it's time to upgrade to Silverstars and a new harness. Can anybody tell me where I can get the harness from?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Summit has the harnesses in their Sport Truck catalog for $39.95. Includes all wiring and relays. Part # SUM-890030 for 9004 land SUM-890031 for 9007 lamps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Foglights, to be effective as such, should be aimed fairly low compared to your lowbeams. If you have no fog, they could be a bit higher, but then they are only image, not substance. Most people tend to overdrive any lights, and foglights in particular.

The driving lights should be aimed with your highbeams. They are for same purpose, long range visibility. (In some places high beam is still referred to as "driving beam" and low beam as "passing beam".

Lots of people like to wire the fog lights to the parking lights because it does look pretty nice. Not legal in a lot of states (might even be a Federal standard, don't know) but usually not a ticket getter.

But driving lights should only be wired to the high beams and aimed accordingly. If I had to choose, I'd take driving lights every time.

Can you post some pics and details of your setup?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
What kind of lights did you get? You said there in the same housing which sounds like mine but i know of 2 different sets. I got the Eurolite 1200's. I aimed mine slightly toward the ground so as to do like someone said above, fogs dont annoy other drivers. I only turn on the driving (with fogs most of the time) when no one is coming in the other direction, making sure there off when there is. Really good job at filling in space between car and brights and well lit off to the side when driving and fogs are on.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i just had an intersting thought... when wiring driving lights, instead of tapping into the parking lights (so they come on when parks do, yada yada...), could you tap into headlight wiring and make it so driving lights only come on when brights are on?? or is this not possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts