Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to check out the noise I get when I drive at high speeds. I already posted about this, I quote my own post here:

More...? sure: At high speeds on highway, there is a low humming noise. I think it comes from the wheels or something. When I got the car, the back wheel's break (I don't know what part of it, I think it's the plate that the breaks press on, I am missing the jargon) was really pressing on the wheel and it rubbed it hard when I drove, I have to get it fixed. Maybe it's connected to this problem? The humming noise starts at around 50mph, and reaches a peak at 60 - 65. it is monotonic, like a wavy sound, the frequency changes with the speed. when I go over 65 and into 70, the noise is gone. anyone has any idea what's that about?
The garage guy said something about a certain part, but I'm not sure what he meant, something I think with J that sounds like jet, jack, maybe... I'm sorry I really don't know 90% of all the mechanical talk... Anyways, the guys says it will cost me about $300-400 to take care of it. I wonder if that sounds reasonable to you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chung,

He said he have to take the wheels off and look inside to see serial numbers or something... he said it's a lot of work and would take him a while. Can this problem get worse?

G

·
I see from your profile that you have a Gen 3. $200, or even $300 a side is a fair price. There's alot of labor involved. The knuckle has to come off, then the bearing needs to be pressed out, and a new one installed.

I don't know if there's any right now, but a while back there were front knuckles, brand new, on Ebay for $99 for two. (There's one knuckle on either side of the front.) This way, you get new bearings, ball joints, and a new knuckle for a super low price. I would recommend you check into those, and ask your mechanic if he'll put them on if you bring them to him. You'll probably end up spending the same $300 or so, and have all new parts.

*edit*

Found some! Here's a link. Knuckles (no, not the brass ones!)

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
The Gen 3s need the entire knuckle replaced in front. This includes a new ball joint. I bet $150 from Ford each. You can find them on eBay for $100 a pair.

In the rear you need to get a new hub and new retaining nut, ~$60 IIRC. Easy job in the rear. PITA for the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts