Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed (and subsequently took back out and replaced with the stock unit again) a Jet Powr-Flo performance mass air flow sensor on my ‘08 Bull....right at 5 mph the drivetrain warning indicator came on. I took it for a quick spin at low speed and it was punchy as hell but the tranny definitely felt like it was taking on too much load. Then the engine light came on. So, I can’t call the company until Monday and I didn’t want to risk getting my car stuck in “limp mode” wich would require taking it to the dealer...

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but that did absolutely nothing. Has anyone found a troubleshoot or had a similar issue they were able to correct? This is the only performance MAF I can find, which will suck if I can’t get it to work..

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
So I just installed (and subsequently took back out and replaced with the stock unit again) a Jet Powr-Flo performance mass air flow sensor on my ‘08 Bull....right at 5 mph the drivetrain warning indicator came on. I took it for a quick spin at low speed and it was punchy as hell but the tranny definitely felt like it was taking on too much load. Then the engine light came on. So, I can’t call the company until Monday and I didn’t want to risk getting my car stuck in “limp mode” wich would require taking it to the dealer...

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but that did absolutely nothing. Has anyone found a troubleshoot or had a similar issue they were able to correct? This is the only performance MAF I can find, which will suck if I can’t get it to work..
MAF has nothing to do with performance. Hope you can get your money back. Read codes and see what is bothering your ride with the OE unit on.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
^^^^ +1000

Without other SERIOUS mods like a cam, intake / head porting, etc, along with a custom tune, any aftermarket MAF will do WAY more harm than good, and will provide zero increase in performance of fuel economy, and probably a decrease in performance and economy.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Anything from "Jet" is a scam. Get your money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow-up. The only “performance” piece of anything in my car now is the k&n air filter. I called the company and they said they’ve had issued with those so I bought a stock filter but still popped the drivetrain warning light right at 5 mph. I am returning the one from the company I got it through and going to try one more and have an obd2 sensor handy to check codes. The company was willing to work with me. I have a hunch this MAF takes all restrictions off and it’s too much for the drivetrain.

To answer another question, I have had a performance mass air flow sensor with an aftermarket cold air intake on 4 other Fords and this is a first for me. I cannot find an aftermarket cold air intake set up for this car but had read somewhere else that the air intake setup is actually at mass induction (it lays over the top of the engine although thr filter doesn’t run down into the fender wall or anything like most other aftermarket setups do). So my guess is the chip is meant to run wider parameters than this car and drivetrain are supposed to handle. I have never had a drivetrain warning light pop.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have a hunch this MAF takes all restrictions off and it’s too much for the drivetrain.

I don't think you get it.

The MAF does one thing - Send a 0 to 5 volt signal to an input on the computer.

It does not and can not 'remove restrictions' from anything. It either sends a higher voltage signal sooner, or later, depending on its calibration.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts

It does not and can not 'remove restrictions' from anything. It either sends a higher voltage signal sooner, or later, depending on its calibration.

He is falling for the literature from the vendor that states it reduces the restriction of the MAF by 45%. The MAF has a small restriction to begin with.

There is no way that the cars computer will try to protect the drivetrain because the aftermarket MAF creates so much extra torque.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts

He is falling for the literature from the vendor that states it reduces the restriction of the MAF by 45%. The MAF has a small restriction to begin with.

There is no way that the cars computer will try to protect the drivetrain because the aftermarket MAF creates so much extra torque. Especially at 5 MPH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not falling for the literature, I did forget a step though. I probably need a larger throttle body to allow for the extra air flow. No aftermarket cold air intake available, but it hit me the other day that an aftwrmarket MAF won’t do anything if everything else is stock. I think I’ve gotten so twisted up in trying to find anything to do for this car that I have an incomplete list and would need a few more components to make it work...exhaust and larger throttle body would be a start and not sure I’s go back tk Jet for anything else. Having read the previous comment it sounds like their parts are crap. But none-the-less, I’ve got things that would need to be upgraded ahead of the MAF, since there’s no more airflow being inducted currenty

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
You need to determine the most restrictive point in the engine system and that may not be the throttle body. Also airflow tuning based on intake and exhaust runner length is important. Just like tuning an audio speaker with different port lengths and diameters. Do extensive research before you listen to a source that has dollars to gain from products they sell. Also believe that the OEM has done a lot to make their engines as efficient as they reasonably can. Any reduction in the pinch point of air/exhaust flow reduces the horsepower the engine needs to function and creates better gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
Airflow into the engine is determined by RPM and volumetric efficiency (VE) at a given RPM, and any restrictions in the intake tract before the air gets to the intake ports on the heads, and any exhaust system restrictions. Modern engines have VERY well designed intake systems (and to a great extent exhaust systems) that provide VERY little restriction in air flow for a stock engine. Leaving the engine 100% stock and "improving" the intake system with aftermarket parts will do identically ZERO to improve performance, MPG or anything else other than possibly increase intake noise.

Throw in a set of high lift longer duration cams, port the heads, bigger valves (probably not possible on a Cyclone), 3" catless exhaust with straight thru mufflers and mandrel bent pipes, and a custom PCM tune, and only then start thinking about improving the intake system.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Airflow into the engine is determined by RPM and volumetric efficiency (VE) at a given RPM, and any restrictions in the intake tract before the air gets to the intake ports on the heads, and any exhaust system restrictions. Modern engines have VERY well designed intake systems (and to a great extent exhaust systems) that provide VERY little restriction in air flow for a stock engine. Leaving the engine 100% stock and "improving" the intake system with aftermarket parts will do identically ZERO to improve performance, MPG or anything else other than possibly increase intake noise.

Throw in a set of high lift longer duration cams, port the heads, bigger valves (probably not possible on a Cyclone), 3" catless exhaust with straight thru mufflers and mandrel bent pipes, and a custom PCM tune, and only then start thinking about improving the intake system.
Oh the good old days. I had 390 =~6.5L with 2 bbl carb had 1.1" venture. So imagine two of those small holes compared to today's 177cubic inch engine. The carb needed those small air holes to meter the gas. Of course one could have a 4bbl but those big second holes were like pouring raw gas down a rabbit hole.
Good old days SUCK!
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
^^^^ Yup, the "good" old days...... 67 Fairlane GTA 390ci 4 barrel 3 speed auto - 10 mpg city on a good day, 14 highway. 66 Olds Jetstar 430ci 3 speed auto 4 barrel - few MPG worse than the Fairlane GTA, 71 Tbird 429ci 3 speed auto, 4 barrel - MPG around the same as the Olds. Great cars.... they could pass everything but a gas station.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
^^^^ Yup, the "good" old days...... 67 Fairlane GTA 390ci 4 barrel 3 speed auto - 10 mpg city on a good day, 14 highway. 66 Olds Jetstar 430ci 3 speed auto 4 barrel - few MPG worse than the Fairlane GTA, 71 Tbird 429ci 3 speed auto, 4 barrel - MPG around the same as the Olds. Great cars.... they could pass everything but a gas station.
When I was in high school, we had a Mercury as I remember 368ci with high compression and 4 bbl and high test gas. ~300hp ~400 #ft torque. Downside 2 speed auto in auto mode (2-3)and funky push button select. You could get gear 1 with a manual push button but had to shift back to get out of gear 1. Then by ~1970 cars got very heavy for safety. My '72 Colony Park ~5500# by scale weight. My favorite car to drive: 1995 Tbird with 4.6. I think it was a year with independent rear suspension. I drove it about 500 miles of interstate straight through for someone else.
-chart-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing