Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ifve got a 2001 SES And i bet this question has been asked too many times and i just cant find the answer anywhere. But how easy/difficult is it to install a new head unit/system? Because the factory one is built into the climate controls like this:

Is it possible? Have you done it? and most importantly. is it worth it?

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
You'd have the mach upper front door tweeters. :)

PM also sent!

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Rcu (rear control unit) under the carpet in the drivers side of the trunk will have heat sinks (fins). The standard rcu (amp) will be smooth metal. Also, if equipped, triangular tweeter covers, inside the side view mirrors may be mach emblazoned.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Yes it is definitely something you can change out.

In all honesty, if you are going to put a 150 dollar pioneer head unit in it you would be better off to

Put four 6x8 or 6x9 (the Ford speakers are a weird mount)
Get you some sails from a Mach unit and just wire tweeters with crossovers down to your front door speakers

Add a main amp and then add a sub amp and a woofer or two.

I did that to my chestnut because I wanted to keep the factory faceplate. I traveled a lot and didn't want anyone seeing an aftermarket head unit.

I also have a gen IV with factory Mach.

I also have a 99 with a pioneer head unit, upgraded speakers with tweeters added and a sub and amp.

Out of the three,

My Chestnut definitely has the best overall sound including Highs.

The mach and the aftermarket piooner setup are pretty close.

Mike.
B)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have yet to see a kit for a Gen3 or 4 that is anything other than appalling; why couldn't any of these companies have put just a touch of effort into designing a kit that worked off of the design language of the vehicle's interior? Maybe attempt to match the color and texture of the surrounding plastics... flow the design of the filler plate in a way that might play off of the rectangular shape of an aftermarket deck...

This is why I'm sticking with my stock ICP.

·
Registered
50 Posts
To make the kit look good, polish it with some Mother's "Back to Black". I makes that plastic blend right and look like it belongs in your car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
it would look awesome if iw was a smoothed out black finish like glossy looking. Would have been nice if some effort was placed into the thought process to make it look halfway decent

·
Registered
159 Posts
Consider what me, and some others have done for some decent audio. In involves leaving the stock ICP in place, which also includes EATC. Just get a stock RCU and perform the procedures as outlined in this thread if you are handy with electronics:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...isual/165625-stock-rcu-w-pre-amp-outputs.html

By doing that, you get some awesome pre-amps to feed an amp or amps, speakers/subs.. depending on your desire :D The only downsides to this route is a fixed bass cut-off at half volume, and a turn on-bang which makes your speakers/sub bang when the radio is turned on. You get used to it, but it makes your passengers jump :p

The only reason I went this route was because I had spent $50 on a PAC-PXDX aux interface that acts as the CD Changer. Buying the dash kit and new radio would have made this unit useless for me :p

Think of what your looking for, then decide from there

·
Registered
150 Posts
... By doing that, you get some awesome pre-amps to feed an amp or amps, speakers/subs.. depending on your desire :D The only downsides to this route is a fixed bass cut-off at half volume, and a turn on-bang which makes your speakers/sub bang when the radio is turned on. You get used to it, but it makes your passengers jump...
The amp modules in the RCU provided a "mute" function to eliminate "thump". Bypassing those modules (as done by madscientist) also removes this anti-thump solution.
You should still be able to eliminate the "turn-on thump". I found two potential solutions: A speaker delay circuit and Delay timer

There are other solutions, Google "amplifier turn-on thump".

As to the "bass nanny"; I believe madscientist was able to eliminate this in the base RCU (not so successful in the Mach unit).

Not criticizing madscientist's solution. Quite the contrary: I love it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts