Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly, my 2015 did not come with the Sony package. I just bought the car from a used dealer and i can already hear some crackling in the speakers. I have a 600 watt kicker amp and sub that i am installing at some point soon, so i want to get speakers for the rest of the car also.

I have come across all 4 door speakers, also kicker, for an amazing deal that i cannot pass up. All 4 for $75. I was looking into the installation and it appears that a wiring harness is needed to install aftermarket speakers. Does anyone have a place where i can get these? I found them on crutchfield, but i want to see if they are cheaper anywhere else. Also wan to make sure they are actually the ones i need. They are Metra 72-5601 harness.I also read about bass blockers. Are these needed regardless of what door speakers you use? Any links for these as well?

For the front center speaker, what is the installation process for this, and recommended speaker size for replacement? I remember seeing an article on this when i very first joined the forums, but i can't seem to find it.

Column tweeters, same question. Recommended size and installation process?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Other than using heat shrink, I'm not sure where else other than Crutchfield you can get the wiring harness.

Generally, no need for bass blockers. The factory headunit limits bass to the front doors and the center channel. If you're putting in a sub, you probably want to block on the rear doors. Well, that's where you'd draw your bass signal from for the sub.

The center channel is dead simple. The panel pops off and you just unscrew. The hard part is there's very little clearance, unless you bottom mount. If you review the entire other thread you posted in (it's a lot), there are a couple of recommendations.

I gave up on the pillars. It just didn't want come out nicely and I was afraid of the airbag.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than using heat shrink, I'm not sure where else other than Crutchfield you can get the wiring harness.

Generally, no need for bass blockers. The factory headunit limits bass to the front doors and the center channel. If you're putting in a sub, you probably want to block on the rear doors. Well, that's where you'd draw your bass signal from for the sub.

The center channel is dead simple. The panel pops off and you just unscrew. The hard part is there's very little clearance, unless you bottom mount. If you review the entire other thread you posted in (it's a lot), there are a couple of recommendations.

I gave up on the pillars. It just didn't want come out nicely and I was afraid of the airbag.
I did find the harnesses on ebay for $9 each instead of the 12 or 14 that crutchfield is selling them for.

For the center channel. i think the size i read was 3.25", correct?

How hard the pillars sound to get off does seem to be a bit excessive, poor design? I guess as long as they arent crackling and dying i should leave then alone then.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The center channel is a 3.5". The issue to be concerned with is clearance. Plenty below it. Not much above it. I installed an Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx. To do so, I had to mangle the underside of the cover and it's still a little tricky to get the cover on right. If you can find a bottom mount speaker, that's a better route. You'll need to notch the opening to get the bottom mount speaker in there as described in the other thread.

For me, it was hard to take the pillars apart. Others were able to do it, but it just didn't seem worth the risk for me. The stereo sounds tons better with just replacing the doors and the center. I don't regret giving up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The center channel is a 3.5". The issue to be concerned with is clearance. Plenty below it. Not much above it. I installed an Infinity Reference X REF-3002cfx. To do so, I had to mangle the underside of the cover and it's still a little tricky to get the cover on right. If you can find a bottom mount speaker, that's a better route. You'll need to notch the opening to get the bottom mount speaker in there as described in the other thread.

For me, it was hard to take the pillars apart. Others were able to do it, but it just didn't seem worth the risk for me. The stereo sounds tons better with just replacing the doors and the center. I don't regret giving up.
I actually have a copy of the factory manual, in the manual there are instructions for how to remove the A pillar. Just found this out today ha.

My next step after replacing the speakers is going to be looking into putting some rear deck speaker i think. Since i got the non sony system they arent part of my system. The car has the holes and mounts for them already, they just need to be installed. So i need to figure out if im going to end up needing another amp just for all the speaker upgrades.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was able to get to replacing the door speakers this weekend. HUGEEEEE difference for the non Sony system.

The front door speakers actually have two connectors? One was the obvious speaker connections, the other one i have no idea. Does anyone know what the second connector is for the front door speakers?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wouldn't that be for your tweeters? The Sony system pipes tweeters separately from the amp, for non-Sony I think they are fed thru the mains as component.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct, the front door speakers are component with the tweeters in the a-pillar.
Since i replaced them with component speakers i should not have to worry about the tweeters being connected then?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since i replaced them with component speakers i should not have to worry about the tweeters being connected then?
Correct. It's completely up to you if you also want to power (and / or replace) the a-pillar speakers. If you do, you'd run them from the signal to the front doors. Of course, appropriately filter the frequencies.
If you like it the way it is, you can just leave it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts