Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've done a bit of searching on here, but I haven't ever found a definite answer. Yesterday at the junkyard I found a MACH RCU without the tweeters, only cost me $17.35.

I would like to install some aftermarket speakers since I don't care for the sound quality of the stock ones.

Could someone perhaps guide me in the right direction for a decent speaker? Or perhaps just explain how to match up a good speaker to the MACH RCU output?

I have a 2007 SE that I only want to replace the (4) speakers, not add any amp or subs.

Anyone found anything that sounds really good with the MACH RCU?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I prefer having a component speaker set in the front so that I could mount the tweeters in the door sails. If I had an aftermarket amplifier I would go with the most expensive component set I could afford. However, if running off a factory RCU, I'd look for some kind of low end speaker set that would work well without having a whole lot of power on tap, perhaps something without a proper crossover network box because some power is lost to those external boxes. Maybe something along the lines of Pioneer A-series or Alpine Type S 6-1/2 component speakers. They don't fit in Taurus doors without an adapter, but Alpine Type S should have a free plastic adapter in the box, and A-series could have it too. Some vendors will send you a free adapter. I know that A-series woofers (they're the same as in coaxial version) have decent bass but I don't know about Pioneer tweeters.

If you want speakers with 6x8 woofers, then Infinity Reference and JBL GTO components might work. They're fairly efficient, but they have 2ohm impedance. I have no idea what happens when they're plugged into MACH RCU. Perhaps it will just run a little hotter than usual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what I'm looking for is approximately 20-25 watts per channel from the Mach AMP as it's 80watts?

Also, what is the lowest impedance that the Mach RCU can handle? 4 ohm?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have heard that Infinity's speakers measure 2ohms at the voice coils and combining that with with flimsy factory wires, they measure in the neighborhood of 3ohms at the end of speaker wire, so it's not too bad. I would assume that factory RCU was meant to work stably with 4 ohm loads and no one bothered to check if it's 2 ohm stable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question, I have been looking on Crutchfield a whole lot and I'm a bit confused to the RMS rating.

The Pioneer's I'm looking at are rated for 2-30 RMS. Does this mean it can sustain 2 watts to 30 watts? This set had a peak of 180 watts.

I also saw a very nice pair of Infinity's that have a max output of 180 watt, with a higher RMS than the Pioneers?

I'm looking for the best speaker to sound the best with the Mach RCU.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Don't go crazy on RMS ratings because a high RMS rating may indicate that the speaker is meant to run with a powerful amplifier. An RMS rating of 30watt may indicated that the speaker is meant to be a factory replacement speaker. Try to get something with RMS wattage in the neighborhood of 40-70. 2-30RMS probably means that it's "ok" to run it off a head unit with only 5watt amplifier. Look at sonicelectronix.com as well. They have a wider selection and usually better prices. I personally wouldn't expect any miracles from any of the speakers mentioned, unless you get a component set. The tweeters help to move the sound stage up front and above the dash and a little bit. However, the sound stage still will not be centered, unless you have a receiver with time alignment, because the distances from speakers to your eras are different. If you buy coaxial speakers, get 2-way coaxial speakers, because 3-way or more are usually gimmicks with weak tweeters.

By the way, you might as well want to treat the doors with something like a layer of Dynamat and Dynaliner or a similar product. This generally reduces rattles and improves bass response.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Go for TSA-841P or TS-A6882R

Great sound and plenty of punch
Maybe they produce good lows, but highs are substandard by all measures. I tried the 3-way version of these Pioneers and the highs were worse than that of factory speakers with no mach tweeters. Plus, it's coaxial. Like I have said, 3 and 4-way coaxial car audio speakers are mostly gimmicks. (Every seen those tiny microscopic "tweeters" in home audio systems? Probably no)

Like I said, the most ideal solution for the front stage in most cars is to get a component speaker set IMHO. Ford Taurus already has tweeter pods in the sails that fit perfectly 1 inch and slightly larger tweeters. The sound stage and highs will be much better with dedicated tweeters. Coaxial speaker will be second best, but only 2-way speakers, ideally with some primitive crossover network or at least a capacitor for filtering the highs. Just 2c

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I haven't heard these speakers, but Polk in general is a considered very good value brand for speakers. Their home stereo speaker lines, like Monitor60, Monitor70, etc are amazing for the price. In car audio world Polk MM and SR series speakers and subwoofers are considered to be superb (but I wouldn't buy MM or SR to run off the Mach RCU because they're very power hungry.) I wouldn't be surprised if Polk uses effectively the same drivers and tweeters in its home and car audio speakers. I assume that the Polk db series are a level below the MM line. By the way, did you mean Polk Audio db571 instead of Polk Audio db751? One con is that they're coaxial. But being coaxial they're probably more efficient running off lower powered source and the 6x8 woofer will probably produce decent bass, but I don't know a lot about them. They're probably ok. All in all I don't think there is a huge difference when running lower end versions of brand name speakers like Polk or Alpine or Infinity off a factory amplifier like Mach. Their speakers start showing their differences once pushed to their limits by a power amplifier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did mean the Polk Audio db571. I am going to order these and give them a try. I will post back as to how they are with the Mach RCU so I can assist future lurkers. Thanks fct, you've been a BIG help.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes I did mean the Polk Audio db571. I am going to order these and give them a try. I will post back as to how they are with the Mach RCU so I can assist future lurkers. Thanks fct, you've been a BIG help.
N/P. I suggest you read the howto on raamaudio.com on how to sound proof your doors. Sound proofing your doors is like upgrading speakers. The cost is about $100 or less for a set of doors, but the payoff is surprisingly good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've done a bit of searching on here, but I haven't ever found a definite answer. Yesterday at the junkyard I found a MACH RCU without the tweeters, only cost me $17.35.

I would like to install some aftermarket speakers since I don't care for the sound quality of the stock ones.

Could someone perhaps guide me in the right direction for a decent speaker? Or perhaps just explain how to match up a good speaker to the MACH RCU output?

I have a 2007 SE that I only want to replace the (4) speakers, not add any amp or subs.

Anyone found anything that sounds really good with the MACH RCU?

Thanks.
Generally you want low RMS wattage rating and highest possible DB sensitivity in aftermarket speakers if you intend to use the factory RCU or even the aftermarket head unit without any additional amplifier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts