Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just bought at 2002 Taurus and have discovered it's fitted with an after market remote starter system. This wasn't advertised as being installed on the car but I've just found the manual for it hidden in with the owners manual.

Unfortunately the system isn't starting the car - when I hold down the blue button on my key fob the lights come on briefly and the horn sounds once. You then hear a few clicks and can see inside the vehicle that the instrument panel lights up as it would if you turned the ignition key to the on position, however the engine doesn't turn over or start. The system tries 3 or 4 times and then gives up.

The owners manual is very thin and the only trouble shooting suggestion is that the battery may be flat on the key fob but as the car unlocks okay and the remote start procedure seems to at least start, even if the car won't, I can't see that a flat battery is the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the issue? All suggestions gratefully received.

It's a Ford system and as far as I can tell the part number is 2W7Z-19G364-AA.

Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
pats may need to be reprogrammed.

if you have 2 keys:

turn ign on with key 1 wait for theft light to go out. turn off

turn on ign with key 2 wait for theft light to go out. turn off

press and hold blue remote start button. car will attempt to start. car should start if its installed correctly. if not theft light will flash rapidly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I googled that part number and a small list of things came up. The first thing was a Ford truck forum post that dealt with a problem very similar to yours. Might want to read-up if you haven't already.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I googled that part number and a small list of things came up. The first thing was a Ford truck forum post that dealt with a problem very similar to yours. Might want to read-up if you haven't already.

From what i understand there is a small micro chip inside the keys. Thus why you are unable to go to a key shop and get a spare made, you have to go through dealer. Now, this may not be your case but i know with my 04 i have to go to dealer to get a new key if anything happens to mine.

A friend of mine took his chip out of his key an mounted it up under the ignition for the key. so when he hit the button to start it sees the chip and thinks the key is in and starts he car.

Whether this works for you or not idk just a thought.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
Many locksmiths can program the PCM to accept a second (or third) etc key if you only have 1 to start with for half the price or less than a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
A dealer lieing to you? What a shock (not). You can get keys cheap off Ebay. The key just has a RFID chip in it (just like my dog has in his neck to ID him if he gets lost). The key does not get programmed, the PCM gets programmed to accept the RFID code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys. My key definitely has a chip in it so I'll see if I can find a locksmith who can programme it for me and get a cheap spare of ebay.

As for the remote start, I'm still a biit perplexed as to why it will do everything except turn the engine over. Maybe just needs resetting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your missing the bypass, Go to sonicelectronix.com just enter vehicle information and it only 40 bucks way cheaper than any dealer, locksmith, or jack'em up alarm shop and more than likely you would get that same product from bestbuy at there 100 price for more than half off and it's easy plug and play.... The module does not require a key it disables your immobilizer for a sec or two for the car to start

XpressKit XK04 Xpress Kit Preloaded data interface allows remote

1 - 10 of 10 Posts