Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an aftermarket radio install kit to replace the factory pod with the digital climate control in the Gen. 3's? If so, where could I find one?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well there is an aftermarket radio kit but its not the one you are looking for which its the climate control. Maybe I am wrong but the only kit for the Taurus/Sable you could put its the one that doesn't have the climate controls. Probably someone here created something custom made for that type of kit you are looking for.

Frank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well let me be #25 on that list. That sucks that they don't make one yet, it would make installing an aftermarket HU a hell of a lot easier. Is there any way I could get you to make a custom job like that for me? I'll compensate as generously as possible.... ;)

Plus speedy, I am a dealership employee. If you are still interested in purchasing a new factory radio, i get a discount. Just thought I'd offer that little bit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by 99_Sleeper@Jul 25 2004, 11:40 PM
That sucks that they don't make one yet
i dont want to sound like a downer here... but dont hold your breath waiting for a digital control dash kit.

i have contacted both metra and scosche, and both came back with the same responses. they are not planning on making this item, and they dont feel the expense can be justified. so it looks like us fellas with digital controls are just SOL.

i do plan on doing some custom dash work to house my stereo soon, but that has been put on the backburner right now due to a rash of bad incidents :(

·
Registered
702 Posts

How can you drive like that? I'd bang my knees on it if I mounted a stereo under the steering wheel. And not to mention it'd be akward to adjust any settings on it.

I've never had a problem with it mounted down under the dash, and I have a remote for it, so the only problem was changing CDs. Im relatively tall and I have never bashed my knees on it. On the contraty, Im attempting to pull of what Brad did to his Bull. Its not working as well as I had planned...

How bad did I screw up you ask? Just tell me where I can find a new center console piece and how much it costs and we'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the help though, Brad. I just cannot get the fiberglass to stick. It gets hard, but then it cracks off. Any suggestions? I've got enough fiberglass to try it another 5 times...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally, I put an aftermarket CD player in. I decided to put it in the arm rest. When all is closed up, car looks stock (certainly doesn't sound it with the little extras that have been put in also...). Will get pics eventually for those that are interested.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Originally posted by 99_Sleeper@Apr 2 2005, 08:44 AM
Finally, I put an aftermarket CD player in. I decided to put it in the arm rest. When all is closed up, car looks stock (certainly doesn't sound it with the little extras that have been put in also...). Will get pics eventually for those that are interested.
Yeah definitely post picks. I would love to see this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok will post pics when i get the chance to take them. Still not completely done with beautifying the shindig. Was just happy when it was all operational. :)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I did that a couple years ago. Got too annoying to control.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 26 2004, 08:38 AM
only other option is to go to manual controls. Relitivly easy if you have knoledge on how this stuff works.

Brad
Maybe that would be a good kit that someone can offer. If you could write-up the directions on how to do it, I might consider offering something like that....

JR

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually installed my cd player in the arm rest just today. I think it looks great. All i do is start a cd or something and close the arm rest. If i want to flip through stuff, just flip up the arm rest and use the control. I don't find it to be a hastle at all.

Only thing i want to change on it is to mount the head unit in at an angle towards the driver so that i can get rid of this horrible glare i have. The sun roof is working against me in that regard but otherwise im very very happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you seen any posts about remote mounting the face of a headunit? I ran across some discussion on this last week. Seems like that could be another option.

One thing I am interested in is the new JL Audio CleanSweep coming out next month. Audiocontrol has something similar coming out as well. They basically equalize your factory audio signal and convert them into line level for use with an aftermarket amp. The JL Audio unit includes an aux. input. I believe that Alpine has something similar for use with Alpine components, but I am not sure if it provides a line level output.

Another person who began working on an install kit for us Gen 3 owners with ECC said that his solution was to "lay down" the radio portion of the footbal. I am trying to get my hands on one so I can check it out. I believe that someone will figure this out pretty soon, but with alternatives coming out as more and more auto makers make it virtually impossible to remove the factory system, watch how many more alternatives start hitting the market. Products already exist for us to add any functionality we want to our cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.