Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a new Taurus either a 2004 or 2005. I would like to plug an IPOD directly into the radio which will mean that I have to replace the radio(I assume). I went to the Crutchfield website and they do not list any radios that fit a new Taurus. I called them and a representative said that the radio and the a/c system are integrated and if you pulled the radio out you would lose your a/c. I just want a new Taurus and to be able to plug my IPOD directly into the radio(as opposed to the FM Transmitter). Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter as to the simplest way to get this done either with a hookup from the factory stereo or with an aftermarket radio? Thanks in advance.

G

·
I personally like the look of the integration of the A/C and stereo, well at least with the digital climate controls. if you get an SEL you wont be able to convert to an aftermarket due to the digital climate controls. I dont like having a rectangle face of a stereo in that big space, to me it seems not very classy.

But, its your car not mine! do what you want.

they do offer faceplates for the manual twist knob a/c controls.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
IT's not that the A/C won't work, it's the fact that in '04 models, they integrated the ABS or AirBag to the stereo (I can't remember which one, but I know it's one of those two). So you're basically screwed even if you do have manual climate controls. I don't think anyone has bypassed that yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an '04....i went to best buy and they installed my pioneer HU...however, the passenger air back is now always on, and the rear defrost doesnt work...if you have a key fob though with more than a "lock" and "unlock" button, i believe you can program your other buttons for the defrost

·
Registered
746 Posts
either metra or scosche should make a T-harness that wil fit your stock radio so that you dont mess up your ABS or airbag. however, both of those companies like to overlook the taurus unfortunatly, so they may not have one or plan to make one.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Does anybody have the Scosche Fd134030B dash kit installed in their Gen III. I like the way it looks more than the Metra but is it any good?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Aug 25 2004, 04:19 PM
Does anybody have the Scosche Fd134030B  dash kit installed in their Gen III. I like the way it looks more than the Metra but is it any good?
I used the Scoshe faceplate in my 98. It looks pretty good:

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140805&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='1600' height='1200' class='attach' />[/url]

The install wasn't too bad. I had trouble getting the Temperature switch to click into the kit. I had to file a little of the plastic off the switch to get it to rotate into place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the Scosche kit installed in my Gen IV, and the airbag did consitently stay on. They haven't made the proper wiring in the kit to involve the Airbag switch. I emailed the company and they said as of now (3 months ago) they didn't have any plans to create any more wiring.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Originally posted by jtudor@Sep 8 2005, 10:11 AM
I had the Scosche kit installed in my Gen IV, and the airbag did consitently stay on. They haven't made the proper wiring in the kit to involve the Airbag switch. I emailed the company and they said as of now (3 months ago) they didn't have any plans to create any more wiring.
I'm pretty sure there's a post somewhere about adding a resistor or something that will fix the Airbag problem. You might try a search.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Has anyone tried to replace the automatic climate control faceplate with the manual (w/ knobs) faceplate?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Originally posted by feyd83+Sep 8 2005, 11:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (feyd83 @ Sep 8 2005, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jtudor@Sep 8 2005, 10:11 AM
I had the Scosche kit installed in my Gen IV, and the airbag did consitently stay on.  They haven't made the proper wiring in the kit to involve the Airbag switch.  I emailed the company and they said as of now (3 months ago) they didn't have any plans to create any more wiring.
I'm pretty sure there's a post somewhere about adding a resistor or something that will fix the Airbag problem. You might try a search. [/b][/quote]
You think it's possible to take out the original LED for the passenger airbag, drill a hole into a scosche kit so that the light is still functional? Unless it's built into the circuit board on the original ICP I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET RADIO ON THE 04-05 TAURUS WITH THE ROTARY CLIMATE CONTROL KNOBS... DROP ME AN EMAIL AND I WILL SEND YOU THE INFO FOR ANYONE INTERESTED... I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF... LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT...

SO TO THOSE THAT SAY IT CAN'T BE DONE.... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i have a gen4 sel. (02) it has the auto climate controls. however, i have a cassette player with the factory cd changer in the console. i have an rca lyra 40gb mp3 player that i use with a cassette adapter. sounds ok to me. maybe thats an option.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
The 2004 has the integrated airbag light. So if you remove the stock head unit and replace it with a Scosche kit you will lose your passenger side airbag.

For a solution, I have a Peripheral converter thing that lets me use Pioneer IPBUS junk with my stock head unit. I have a CD changer for it, but it also has a switch and an RCA input. Look for something like that.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Get an adaptor that will allow you to turn your radios CD Changer port into an aux input connection. I'm looking at getting one for my 05.

I don't want to remove the factory radio in my car so I started looking at my options. I refuse to go with an FM modulator, and I don't want to lose my cd changer so I found this:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaaifrdts.html

Don't know if it will work in 04+ though, the listing says till 03, but did anything between the radios change between 03 and 04 besides the airbag light??? I posted a topic about it, but no one has responded.

There are other devices out there, I just showed you one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it is a resitor between 2 wires on the factory harness and yes it does work I know I have done it and have the install listed in my other posts:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET RADIO ON THE 04-05 TAURUS WITH THE ROTARY CLIMATE CONTROL KNOBS... DROP ME AN EMAIL AND I WILL SEND YOU THE INFO FOR ANYONE INTERESTED... I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF... LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT...

SO TO THOSE THAT SAY IT CAN'T BE DONE.... :laugh:
Do you still know how to install aftermarket radio into 04-05 Taurus?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.