1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
This kit is perfect, cannot be beaten for the price, high quality slim ballasts, magnetic bixenon, and 6000k in color is bright white with a hint of blue thats what i do on my car and my girls friends cobalt (9007 as well) they look great and are better quality than ddm/xentec/vvme.

Xenon HID BULBS Conversion Kit High/Low 9007/HB5 6000K | eBay

and they are not crazy blinding like everyone always says they are, the more blue kits like 10,000k+ are the ones that glare because blue hurts your night vision so they seem brighter when looking at them but actually put out less light. (yes i have learned)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That is much cheaper then the set I was looking at which was $59.99 for one set and this comes with both high and lo

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
yea, this kit is perfect and its the best price, i cant find anything that decent even the vvme kits are more expensive and they dont have the slim ballasts,

i also forgot the slim ballasts come with the little box attached to the power wire (dont remember what its called) it eliminates static cause by the radio which conventional ballasts dont, made a big difference listen to redsox/celtics/bruins in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would say don't waste your money on HIDs, they give you a false perception of being able to see better while actually making your night vision worse. A relay harness kit is a better investment.

A good HID conversion costa $450 - $700 because you cannot use HIDs with a halogen reflector and get satisfactory results. All you will end up by doing such swap is greating more glare for you and everyone else on the road. Headlights are a safety feature, so anything that makes them worse affect everybody.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
this is completely untrue. you guys have to stop hating on hids, i SPECIFICALLY said, to use a lower kelvin temperature, 4300k and 6000k are an incredible imrovement from factory and blow silverstars with the upgraded harness off the earth, and because they are not blue they actually are brighter...

at least double the lumens. ill agree, if you use a 10,000k kit its not as bright, but ive had EVERY kevlin temp bulb in my car at some point and even a 15,000k bulb is much brighter than stock, yes the performance in the rain is less that is why i know run 6000k 55w (and they are in projectors)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, IF I was to do an upgrade to HID, what I'm hearing is that the headlight assembly currently in there, will not produce as good of results as it might if I were to buy a new assembly specifically made for the HID bulbs?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
i dont have experience with gen 3's but yes probably they will scatter bad, my gen 4 sables lights were fine stock with hids, i just wanted projectors for the cutoff and a better look.

you can get used morimoto projectors for $125 with everything (www.hidplanet.com), then you just need a good quality h1 hid kit with harness (around $60) and you can re use your stock housings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced mine with sylvannia bright whites. Cost was minimal at 125 for the pair, installed. Had them also clean the yellow stuff off the headlamp covers, which added another 95. But was totally worth it. I can see again!! LOL

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
@schwedinator - just get your headlight plastic resurfaced! Use Silvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs (I think mine uses 9007SU)!
It did improve A LOT my night time vision. I did try a bunch of other solutions - more or less legal (HID won't pass the technical inspection here) and this was the best.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I use the silverstar ultra too, big improvement. iirc they were like 45 bucks for the pair. It's not hard at all to install yourself. If your lenses aren't completely clear, get a diy kit from meguiars, also pretty easy. Don't waste your money paying someone to do something so easy!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just replaced mine with sylvannia bright whites. Cost was minimal at 125 for the pair, installed. Had them also clean the yellow stuff off the headlamp covers, which added another 95. But was totally worth it. I can see again!! LOL
They charged you $60 labor to install headlight bulbs? I'm sorry, but they saw you coming a mile away.

Save yourself a lot of money next time. The only tools needed to change the headlights in yours is an 8mm wrench (For the lone hold-down bolt) and a flat tip screwdriver (For leverage in working up the headlamp retaining L-brackets). At most it would take 60 seconds to have the whole headlamp assembly in your hands.

And next time it yellows, save yourself $75 and buy a 3M Headlight Restoration kit, gets professional results every time for only $19.99.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also DO NOT put HIDs in G4 housings without projectors. Had the unfortunate luck to have a G4 Taurus following me at night who had a cheap kit he purchased from his rim shop. Blinding doesn't describe it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
^ I would had called the #55 (or what number the highway police has in your area)...

As i said, cleaned lens (the 3M kit is good) and SilverStar Ultra are sufficient.

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ I would had called the #55 (or what number the highway police has in your area)...
He's a friend, so unfortunately not, I am sure mine are pretty bad too, Nokya Artic "White" (Blue) 100 watt bulbs.

If you can deal with loss of high beam functionality, you can install HIR bulbs (9011 or 9012 bulbs). Their connectors are the same as 9005 and 9006 bulbs. HIR is a dead technology, produces near HID lumen output with no need of ballasts, uses an expensive coating on the inside of the quartz which amplifies the light output.

Though I did stumble across a company that was producing 9007-equivalent dual-beam HIR bulbs awhile back, don't know how reliable they would be compared to the Phillips or Toshiba produced HIRs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yep, those...
I heard that Philips X-treme Power are brighter (80% plus VS 50% plus), but I didn't see them in action.

I might just buy myself a pair, my Explorer takes the same bulbs like the Sable...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
i dont have experience with gen 3's but yes probably they will scatter bad, my gen 4 sables lights were fine stock with hids, i just wanted projectors for the cutoff and a better look.

you can get used morimoto projectors for $125 with everything (www.hidplanet.com), then you just need a good quality h1 hid kit with harness (around $60) and you can re use your stock housings.
No you can't You can't change the optics of the light source and say it doesn't scatter. It just plain does. Its not a matter of hating on HIDs, an HID with a proper projector is just fine. But you can't take a reflector made for one light source and put a different light source in it and expect a good result. I like the way Daniel Stern puts it, its like wearing someone else's eyeglasses.

·
Registered
294 Posts
6000k is straight white. no blue at all. 8000k is what i have, its white with blue in it, they call it "iceberg blue" and then 10,000k is blue 12,000k is deep blue then it gets purple after that and such.. you can get green at like 30,000k but thats riiculously illegal. ANYWAY. yeah hid's are great, you can see everything and signs light up from so far away. everyone that whines about blinding other ppl can go poop in their hand. aim it properly and ull be fine. if you want great visibility i would recommend 6000k or 8000k. or maybe 5000k, but thats more yellowish slightly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
oh! and if ur looking for better visibility like u said u were, then do not get deep blue. its proven to have the worst headlight visibility....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts