Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 SHO ATX and I am having an aftermarket head unit installed for xmas and after talking to the guy at Circuit City I am under the impression he will put in the new HU and rewire the door speakers but not include the sub or amps in the trunk.

I have a few questions about this...

Is this the best he can do or are there ways to plug the whole existing set up to the new HU?

If he did hook the speakers directly to the HU, could I reuse the amps and rewire them to power an aftermarket 6" sub (the stock one is blown anyway) and then add on a more powerful sub to power an aftermarket 10" sub?

I am so confused by all this...I just want the speakers in the door to work...with or without amp and for two subs to be used...one 6" in the stock box and a 10" somewhere else. I just hate to throw out the existing amps and have to buy a new one to power the 6" sub.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
799 Posts
If all your stock wiring is OK, he can use a Scosche FD03 harness that will connect your new head unit's RCA low level outputs to the factory amps. The factory amp should be more than plenty to drive your 6 inch sub, the stock one was the same size I think.

For the 10" sub you'll most likely need to get an aftermarket amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4455_S...03B+-+FD03.html

*edit* here's a link with an image so you can show the installer what you're talking about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If all your stock wiring is OK, he can use a Scosche FD03 harness that will connect your new head unit's RCA low level outputs to the factory amps. The factory amp should be more than plenty to drive your 6 inch sub, the stock one was the same size I think.

*edit* here's a link with an image so you can show the installer what you're talking about.
[/b]

Found the harness online for $10. So the black box part hooks into the amp, but why does it have 4 rca's? would I need to put all 4 into the head unit or just 2?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

[/b]
Another question I thought of is if that connects the HU to the amp, isn't there another signal wire that needs to be accounted for? I don't picture that being included in the rca...or is it?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sorry this took a while, forgot I posted in here.

This adapter will use the RCA's (front and rear) from your new HU and connect it to the harness that feeds the amps.

There is another harness that will connect your new HU's other wiring (power, ground, illumination, remote turnon for the amps, power antenna wire, etc) to the car's factory harness for this.

The installer should have that installation kit onhand, it's a common Ford install kit. The RCA adapter is the one that most stores don't carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts