Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 92 mercury sable LS wagon that I've halfway installed a new head unit in.. I say halfway because I got all the wiring done up and plugged into the factory harnesses, turned the car to give it a try but got nothing. The head unit turned on just fine but I got no sound. I've installed all new speakers all the way around but I wasn't sure if I am supposed to by pass the factory amp or not. Any advice is much appreciated... I just want sound in the ol' girl again.its been to long.

·
Super Moderator
8,111 Posts
I assume you have the old Ford "premium sound" system? You must bypass the premium sound amplifier (which sucks anyway.... the premium sound amp only put out a whopping 8 Watts per channel).

My 80s Thunderbirds both have two 8 terminal speaker plugs in the dash. One was for the premium sound system, and came from the amp, and the other went directly to the head unit for the non premium sound system. No sure if the G2 Taurus has 2 speaker plugs or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you have the old Ford "premium sound" system? You must bypass the premium sound amplifier (which sucks anyway.... the premium sound amp only put out a whopping 8 Watts per channel).

My 80s Thunderbirds both have two 8 terminal speaker plugs in the dash. One was for the premium sound system, and came from the amp, and the other went directly to the head unit for the non premium sound system. No sure if the G2 Taurus has 2 speaker plugs or not.
Yes sir it got the "premium sound system" so as long as I by pass that I should be good? I'm just confused because the plug up front has less wires that the plug that comes from the new head unit... the power side plug matched up perfectly. But I will try that and hope it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts