Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully we can get this stickied because I had to search everywhere on SHOforum to get this information.

Today I had to install an aftermarket cd player in a Gen II SHO for Dan's (DPNovitszky) friend. I told Dan last night that they would need to stop at Best Buy to get a wiring harness. When they got there this morning, there were three harnesses, where there would normally only be two. Dan told me that the extra was for a bypass, but didn't know exactly what it was for. I wired up the power, ground, and constant leads, but didn't know which harness to use for the speakers. I went outside, and took a look at the old unit that was in there (JBL cassette). The back of the unit had the old standard Ford power harness, and had a small, squarish harness, that I took to be the speaker harness. There were also three harnesses in the dash. The standard Ford power, a standard Ford speaker harness, and the speaker harness that was connected to the JBL unit. I decided to use the standard Ford speaker harness, as I was assuming that using that harness would bypass the JBL amplifiers in the trunk. I wired it up, plugged it in, and got power, but no sound. After checking connections a half-dozen times, I took a look at the amps in the trunk to see if I had to jumper two harnesses together back there. It seemed to me that the squarish looking harness fed into the JBL amp, with another harness connected on the other side of it. Additionally, there was a harness coming from the second amp, which controls the subwoofer.

At this point, I had no idea what to do. I checked the TCCA to see if anyone knew, but neither Rudy nor Paul Nimz knew what to do. I then surfed the Audio forum at SHOforum for awhile, and saw that people were saying that you simply needed to disconnect the aforementioned three harnesses in the trunk. Well, we did that, and voila! The cd player gave decent sound from the stock speakers, and the install was all but finished.

JR

·
Registered
379 Posts
I will scan the harness iring in. It is the diagram of the speaker harness coming out of the amp. YOu hvae to bypass the amp entirely. I do not know what you did to bypass the amp, while that was still plugged in, and how you used the stock harness with the still beting plugged into the factory amp...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do a wiki also, but I'd like to get this pinned, because most people will look at the pinned topics before they look at the wiki. It's much more visible.

Also, mind bumping up my tech bulletin count? :D

JR

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Patience JR

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jan 1 2006, 01:15 PM
Bump...pin?

JR
We both know no one looks at pinned threads... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII+Jan 1 2006, 11:15 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EDIII @ Jan 1 2006, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Jan 1 2006, 01:15 PM
Bump...pin?

JR
We both know no one looks at pinned threads... :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
so very true.

B

·
0 Posts
Pinned for posterity's sake. At least it'll be easy to find and link to the next guy that will ask without searching. :ph34r:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Heres a good one, How do you take the aftermarket receiver out on a gen 2. Heard there was an easier way. Me and a friend took several bolts to get it out.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
94taurus02EDGE 
Posted: Today at 1:38 am
Report PostQuote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,931

Heres a good one, How do you take the aftermarket receiver out on a gen 2. Heard there was an easier way. Me and a friend took several bolts to get it out.
Well, first off, what kind of aftermarket H.U. is it? Does it utilize an install kit? Does it have two small holes on either side of the H.U. that look like you could put toothpicks in them? If its a newer style H.U. do you have the little "keys" that usually remove the "radio" from the "chassis"? do you have pics, so we don't have to try an help sight unseen? You know, blind leading the blind just doesn't pull snot out of a nose.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
so... if i change the headunit in my SHO, will my factory sub and tweeters still work? from what i read in the wiki, it doesnt sound like they will. someone, please reply :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tweeters will, however the sub won't. The additional sound from the new head unit will compensate, though. Even stock speakers will sound much better with an aftermarket head unit (as long as its not a Pyle or something).

I'm really glad to see someone actually reading and replying in a pinned thread!

JR

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 25 2006, 01:51 PM
The tweeters will, however the sub won't. The additional sound from the new head unit will compensate, though. Even stock speakers will sound much better with an aftermarket head unit (as long as its not a Pyle or something).
i havent examined the wiring very well yet, but any chance of using the sub and amp w/o the crossover? just running it off of the sub output on an aftermarket headunit? like i said, i havent gotten a chance to look at it yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
TheBull24vDOHC
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing